D leitch fau_dare_tobeprepared_may2014_socialmedia_final
Presenter: Danielle C. Leitch, ‘93
May 14, 2014
SOCIAL MEDIA FORSOCIAL MEDIA FOR
YOUR CAREER SEARCHYOUR CAREER SEARCH
• FAU Alumna - College of Business, ’93
• Advisory Board Member for FAU’s ITOM Dept.
• Board Member for FAU Alumni Association
• Former Executive Recruiter (high-tech clients)
• 11 years with MoreVisibility in Boca Raton, FL
– Digital Advertising/Web Design Company
• Frequent Conference Speaker / Trainer
• Sourced For Commentary by Local & Nat'l News
• Collaborated with Microsoft on MSN AdCenter
• Invited by LinkedIn to Launch Company Pages
• Top 1% of LinkedIn Profiles Viewed in 2012
• NOW, Real-time
• Publicity, Branding, Awareness & PR
• Lead Generation / Raise Interest
• Informational and Educational
• Client Engagement and Communication
• Everywhere & Everyone
– Desktop, Tablet, Mobile/Smartphone
– All demographics; B-to-B and B-to-C
- Regional, local or national / global
• Content of all Types
– Video, Image, News, Blog, Text, Widget
The Original Search Landscape
Search Engine Marketing
(SEM/CPC) gets you here
Organic or Natural Search
(SEO) gets you here
What you see is what
prospective employers will see
Is it impressive?
FIX IT NOW
• Manage your professional information
• Be introduced to potential employers/clients
• Create, collaborate on projects
• Portable & interactive resume (portfolio)
• Discover new connections / add to network
• LEARN, ENGAGE and GET CONNECTED!
• Gain insights from experienced professionals
• Very open forum – anyone can follow/view
– Private is an option
– Tweets don’t appear in Google
• Leverage hashtags (#) to reach wider
• Monitor hashtags (#) to connect with individual
influencers and identify relevant companies
– Geography (#BocaRaton, #NYC, #Miami)
– Industry (#socialmedia, #travel, #fitness)
– Hobbies/Interests (#wine, #FAU, #Heat)
• Coordinate or participate in Twitterchats
to engage the community; establish
yourself within the industry
• Google’s social media platform / Facebook’s competition.
• Promotes “Real-Life Sharing” on the web.
• Features include Circles, Hangouts, Games and Search.
• Many controls for privacy and sharing content.
• Include brands or companies in posts to gain attention -
@MoreVisibility or +MoreVisibility
• Referred to as G+, Google+ and Google Plus
• Upload presentations publicly or privately
– documents, pdfs, videos, infographics also
• Can embed on blogs & websites
• Share on Google+, Facebook, LinkedIn
• Embed YouTube videos into presentations
• SlideShare PRO ($) offers premium features like
branded channels, analytics, ad free pages, etc.
• Be sensible when posting on public accounts!
• Maximize LinkedIn – portable resume & portfolio.
• Connect and interact with industry influencers,
community advocates and those within your “dream
• Gain experience where you can, in an area that many
organizations need help with.
• Social for business is VERY DIFFERENT than how we
use it personally.
• THINK FIRST, POST SECOND!