Psalm 109:4 Isaiah 1:15 Daniel 9:21 Matthew 21:22 Luke 1:10
Luke 1:48 Isaiah 51:8 Joel 3:20 Psalm 102:12 Ephesians 3:21 Leviticus 22:3, All Generations
The Ryrie Study Bible on page 1563 says;
1 Peter 2:10
Luke 1, Christmas Prelude, behold the man, Herod the Great, Gabriel, Nazareth, the annunciation, nothing is impossible with God, salvation from enemies, shadow of death, God's covenant, ss
Christmas Prelude, Luke 1
Merry Christ Mass
Christmas Is All About Christ
“Behold The Man”
Pastor Dave Kooyers
Valley Bible Fellowship
Boonville CA 95415
God bless you as you examine His Word,
Your servant in Christ, 2Cor. 4:5,
Luke Behold The Man
• Luke’s emphasis is on Christ’s humanity.
• Zechariah 6:12 And speak unto him, saying,
Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying,
Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH;
and he shall grow up out of his place, and he
shall build the temple of the LORD:
• Very human
• Luke’s genealogy begins with Adam
Luke 1:5, Herod the Great
• Luke 1:5 In the days of Herod, king of Judea… [Herod was an Edomite]
• Deuteronomy 23:7 "You shall not detest an Edomite, for he is your brother…
• wikipedia.org/... Says “Herod was born around 74 BCE in the south
(Idumea was the most southern region). …Herod was practicing Judaism,
as many Edomites and Nabateans had been commingled with the Jews and
adopted their customs. These "Judanized" Edomites were not considered
Jewish by the dominant Pharisaic tradition, so even though Herod may have
considered himself of the Jewish faith, he was not considered Jewish by the
observant and nationalist Jews of Judea. …He enjoyed the backing of Rome
but his brutality was condemned by the Sanhedrin.
• [His]…nephew, took the throne from his uncle… Herod fled to Rome to plead
with the Romans to restore him to power. There he was elected "King of the
Jews" by the Roman Senate. Josephus puts this in the year… (40
BCE)…10] Herod went back to Judea to win his kingdom…and…he married the
teenage niece of Antigonus, Mariamne (known as Mariamne I), in an attempt
to secure a claim to the throne and gain some Jewish favor. However, Herod
already had a wife, Doris, and a three-year-old son, Antipater, and chose
therefore to banish Doris and her child…”
Luke 1:10, Who Is Best In Prayer?
• Luke 1:10 And the whole multitude of the
people were in prayer…
• When you rearrange the letters:
BEST IN PRAYER
Luke 1:11, The Altar Of Incense
• Luke 1:11 And an angel of the Lord appeared
to him, standing to the right of the altar of
The Altar of Incense
(Exodus 30:1-10, 34-38)
Luke 1:19, Gabriel
• Luke 1:19 The angel answered and said to
him, "I am Gabriel, who stands in the
presence of God,
• How many named angels?
• What’s his claim to fame?
• One of 3 named, MIGHTY, ….
Luke 1:26, Nazareth
• Luke 1:26 Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel
was sent from God to a city in Galilee called Nazareth…
• Matthew 21:11 And the crowds were saying, "This is
the prophet Jesus, from Nazareth in Galilee.“
• Jesus was born in Bethlehem (Luke 2:4 ), but identified
with Nazareth (Luke 4:34, 18:37, John 1:45)
• Matthew 2:23 and came and lived in a city called
Nazareth. This was to fulfill what was spoken through
the prophets: "He shall be called a Nazarene."
Nothing Is Impossible With God
Luke 1:37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."
How big is your God?
Whatever your problems are, God is able!
He can handle anything!
We by default tend to go the world's way in problem
But there is only one right way.
Why not deal with your problems God's way?
Proverbs 16:25 There is a way which seems right to a
man, but its end is the way of death.
Colossians 1:9. . . ask that you may be filled with the
knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and
John Means “God Is Gracious”
• Luke 1:60 But his mother answered and said,
"No indeed; but he shall be called John."
• The Ryrie Study Bible on page 1563 says;
“John. The name means “God is gracious.”
Luke 1:71, Salvation
• Luke 1:71 Salvation FROM OUR ENEMIES, And
FROM THE HAND OF ALL WHO HATE US;
• Sometimes we charge the Jews with error for
thinking “salvation” was material as opposed
to spiritual (the forgiveness of sins).
• But God had given them an offering for sins,
and promises of physical “salvation” from
Luke 1:78-79, To Give Light
• Luke 1:78-79 Through the tender mercy of our God;
whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us, 79
To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the
shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of
• John 1:4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of
men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the
darkness did not comprehend it. 6 There came a man,
sent from God, whose name was John. 7 He came for a
witness, that he might bear witness of the light, that all
might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but
came that he might bear witness of the light. 9 There
was the true light which, coming into the world,
enlightens every man.
Luke 1:78, God's Mercy
• Luke 1:78 …the tender mercy of our God…
• God's mercy is so great that you may sooner
drain the sea of its water, or deprive the sun
of its light, or make space too narrow, than
diminish the great mercy of God. Charles
Luke 1:79, Shadow Of Death
• Luke 1:79 "TO SHINE UPON THOSE WHO SIT IN DARKNESS
AND THE SHADOW OF DEATH, To guide our feet into the
way of peace.""
• We face death, but thanks to Jesus, we only face its
shadow. Max Lucado
• Psalm 23:4 "Even though I walk through the valley of the
shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your
rod and Your staff, they comfort me."
• Psalm 44:19, 107:10, 107:14
• Matthew 4:16 ""THE PEOPLE WHO WERE SITTING IN
DARKNESS SAW A GREAT LIGHT, AND THOSE WHO WERE
SITTING IN THE LAND AND SHADOW OF DEATH, UPON
THEM A LIGHT DAWNED.""
Luke 1:79, Shadow Of Death
• Isaiah 9:2 The people who walk in darkness Will see a
great light; Those who live in a dark land, The light will
shine on them. 3 You shall multiply the nation, You shall
increase their gladness; They will be glad in Your presence
As with the gladness of harvest, As men rejoice when they
divide the spoil…. 6 For a child will be born to us, a son will
be given to us; And the government will rest on His
shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful
Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. 7
There will be no end to the increase of His government or
of peace, On the throne of David and over his kingdom, To
establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness
From then on and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of
hosts will accomplish this.
Matthew 4:16, Light Excels Darkness
• There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out
the light of even one small candle. Robert Alden
• Ecclesiastes 2:13 And I saw that wisdom excels folly as
light excels darkness.
• John 1:7-9…There was the true Light which, coming into
the world, enlightens every man.
• John 8:12 Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am
the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in
the darkness, but will have the Light of life.“
• Matthew 16:18 …I will build My church; and the gates of
Hades will not overpower it.
David Divided The Levites Into Divisions
• 1 Chronicles 23:1 Now when David reached old age, he
made his son Solomon king over Israel. 2 And he
gathered together all the leaders of Israel with the
priests and the Levites. 3 The Levites were numbered
from thirty years old and upward, and their number by
census of men was 38,000. 4 Of these, 24,000 were to
oversee the work of the house of the LORD; and 6,000
were officers and judges, 5 and 4,000 were
gatekeepers, and 4,000 were praising the LORD with
the instruments which David made for giving praise. 6
David divided them into divisions according to the sons
of Levi: Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.