Quick Start: Rails

837 views

Published on

This lightning talk provides a brief, non-technical overview of Ruby on Rails, suitable for both management and technical professionals. For an audience of Rails "newbies", the focus of the presentation is just on educating viewers about Rails. For a more experienced audience, the spin is typically on how the audience can effectively educate others about Rails as a technology.

Published in: Technology
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
837
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
11
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Quick Start: Rails

  1. 1. Quick Start: What is Rails? By David Keener http://www.keenertech.com
  2. 2. What It Is … and Isn’t <ul><li>It’s a tool </li></ul><ul><li>It’s optimized to create web pages quickly </li></ul><ul><li>It’s MVC without config files </li></ul><ul><li>It’s a productivity enhancer </li></ul><ul><li>It’s got a learning curve </li></ul><ul><li>It’s not magic </li></ul><ul><li>It’s not a silver bullet </li></ul><ul><li>It’s not going to replace Java for all applications </li></ul>Rails is a framework implemented in the Ruby object-oriented language that facilitates the creation of web sites, particularly CRUD-oriented (create, read, update & delete) web pages.
  3. 3. It’s a Full Stack Framework Rails provides an integrated full stack framework. J2EE provides similar functionality with a variety of separate frameworks / tools (each with their own learning curves).
  4. 4. The Rails Philosophy <ul><li>Convention over configuration </li></ul><ul><li>Do not repeat yourself (DRY) </li></ul><ul><li>The 80/20 Rule: Rails implements 80% of the functionality that most users need; the other 20% is your application </li></ul><ul><li>Corollary to the 80/20 Rule: You have the power to extend the framework yourself </li></ul>Philosophy separates Rails from Java. Where Java favors solution completeness, Rails favors simplicity and speed.
  5. 5. Primary Rails Features <ul><li>Migrations: Facilitates DB maintenance </li></ul><ul><li>Code Generators: Get up-and-running quickly with scaffolding (replace it later) </li></ul><ul><li>Object-Relational Mapping: Uses ActiveRecord to automatically generate class methods based on database lookups </li></ul><ul><li>MVC: No configuration required; just follow the Rails conventions </li></ul><ul><li>Integrated Features: Database access, AJAX, Testing, Text/HTML emails, etc. </li></ul>
  6. 6. Summary… Note: Graphic found on web.

×