• TIM SA is the biggest Polish distributor of techelectro materials.
• The company offers ca. 9 000 products on
• The company has 25 years of experience on the
• It employs 300 people in its 30 divisions in
• Logistics Center, which ensures smooth delivery
ﬂow – directly to the customers, is localized in
Siechnice (near Wroclaw).
• Central Magazine is fully automated. Special
assembly lines are designed to cut and package
cables and electric equipment.
New Sales Channel
The multichannel character of sale is
crucial for us – says Krzysztof Folta,
CEO in TIM SA.
European eCommerce market in 2011
constituted ca. 8% of the total retailcommerce value. The highest levels
were noted in Great Britain and
Germany (ca. 9% and 12%). In Poland,
it was 3%, in Italy - 1%. So there is a
large potential and in case it develops,
I hope that TIM could have a
noticeable share in this growth – adds
• Integration of the project with
the company’s logistic systems
• Creating a self-service platform
as a new sales channel
• Optimization of the new channel
in order to meet the demands of
small companies from B2B
sector, as well as the
expectations of B2C sector
Tests and start
Interactive prototypes enable
the demonstration of how the
applications will work.
Designer’s ideas are veriﬁed
against expectations of a
Conceptual work on models
enables cheap and fast
veriﬁcation of the ideas.
A number of changes during
the successive phases of a
project gradually diminishes.
• We conducted tests to see how the potential client operated an interactive prototype.
• Tests were made in the client’s headquarters.
• We examined people differing in the level of computer/Internet knowledge, coming
from a couple of regions of Poland.
• During the tests users were performing tasks based on deﬁned scenarios and using
• Those tests showed us what range of problems and what kind of interactions real
people had with our site.
• One of the scenarios/tasks:
Task for electric shops and warehouses
Imagine that you need 345 m of electric cable for sale. Try to buy it on the page.
Task for trafﬁc management
Imagine that you need 345 m of electric cable to supply a building. Try to buy it on the page.
The ﬁrst version received
from the client
Microsoft BizTalk Server
• The application
communicates with the
warehouse system thanks to
the data bus of BizTalk
• It enables an online access to
the warehouse stock.
• Elaboration of project integration
Prepared in cooperation with IT department, contains the detailed description of
mechanisms of the synchronization, security systems and data formats.
• Two-way data exchange
Warehouse stock, product features, orders.
• Early start and tests
Testing the mechanism at an early stage of implementation allows for capture and removal
of all the mistakes in order to make sure that they will not inﬂuence the functioning of an
Graphic design was created
based on the delivered visual
identiﬁcation and according to
the arrangement of the
elements of interactive
One consistent graphic line
After look&feel approval,
graphic plans were prepared
for the next subpages.
Graphic work took 1 month.
• Magento is one of the most popular
Magento has 3 versions:
– Magento Community (with open source
Magento’s administrator panel
– Magento Professional;
– Magento Enterprise.
The commercial versions of Magento
are characterized by producer
guarantee and the compliance with
corporate standards of security and
Elastic choice of the product features, which is
essential for the customer
Disadvantages of Magento
• Conﬁguration-over-conventions – highly complicated conﬁguration,
because of a long XML ﬁle (with a compiler of XML to PHP ﬁle type),
lack of cohesive nomenclature
• Very elastic but complicated code – steep learning curve for new
• „Slow acting” – because of multiple classes and PHP ﬁles; however, it is
possible to optimize it by well-managed hosting and conﬁguration of
the server APC, Memcached etc.
• Expanded EAV data model and a high degree of the standarization of
the database – elastic and easy to manage, but relatively slow (views,
management on the code level)
Quality of the Implemetation
• All changes in the application are under
version control (SVN), new versions are
created in branches, stable version is
• Separate development, test and
production environments are kept.
• Changes are implemented only through
a ticket system.
• Transaction and automatic deployment
on production servers is matched with
the possibility to remove the changes.
• Automatic tests (check-ups, http,
functional) are conducted after each
To Provide the Quality
• Designing according to the User-Centered Design
• The internal quality control on each level of the project – checklists and
• System management of requirements, changes and system applications
All service applications and
project establishments are
made within the system.
A client has online access to
We use Redmine task