The following elements go into the pricing calculation:
• Instance size (CPU cores, RAM, etc.)
• OS/app type (Windows, Linux, Oracle, SQL Server)
• Pricing tier (tied to instance size)
• Number of VMs you need
• Number of running hours (744/hrs - Always on)
A Series - Basic
An economical option for development workloads, test servers, and other applications that don't
require load balancing, auto-scaling, or memory-intensive virtual machines
A Series – Standard
Offers the most flexibility. Supports all virtual machine configurations and features including load
balancing and auto-scaling
Feature SSDs and 60% faster processors than the A-series.
Ideal for apps that need faster CPUs, better disk performance, or higher RAM
Optimized Compute: 35% faster than D series, latest generation of CPU
• 2GB RAM and 16 GB of local solid state drive (SSD) per CPU core.
• Optimized for compute intensive workloads.
• Suitable for scenarios like batch processing, web servers, analytics and gaming.
Featuring the latest Intel Xeon processors, twice the memory and four times the Solid State
Storage of the Dv2 builds which makes this tier the ideal choice for your most demanding
Specifically designed to handle high performance computing workloads such as financial risk
modeling, seismic and reservoir simulation, molecular modeling and genomic research.
N-Series instances are enabled with NVIDIA’s cutting edge GPUs to allow you to run GPU-
accelerated workloads and visualize them.
Azure Premium Storage
Comes with specially designed virtual machines that use new caching technologies to provide
extremely low latency read operations to further enhance performance.
For time-critical applications, you can attach multiple persistent disks to deliver up to 64TB of
storage and more than 80,000 I/O operations per second
• Wide variety of machine type available
• Machines arranged by ‘family’
• Can deploy from console or via script
• Cost based on compute and storage
• Upgrading within VM family easy
• D: drive should not be used for data.
• All static network configurations should be done in Azure
• Sizes in Azure VMs - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-
• Create a VM running Windows - http://azure.microsoft.com/en-
• Create a VM using PowerShell - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-
• Virtual disks - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/virtual-
• Blog – http://blog.ciaops.com
• Free SharePoint Training via email – http://bit.ly/cia-gs-spo
• Free Office 365, Azure Administration newsletter – http://bit.ly/cia-o365-tech
• Free Office 365, Azure video tutorials – http://www.youtube.com/directorciaops
• Free documents, presentations, eBooks – http://docs.com/ciaops
• Office 365, Azure, Cloud podcast – http://ciaops.podbean.com
• Office 365, Azure online training courses – http://www.ciaopsacademy.com
• Office 365 and Azure community – http://www.ciaopspatron.com
Skype for Business
Get access to the latest
information by becoming a