What is widgets?
Mini Web applications that reside on the phone but can
be personalised to easily fetch relevant information from
the web and present it to the user.
3 Vodafone Greece devCamp
• Open source code familiar to millions of developers
• Easy to write, deploy and update
• Rich GUI, can be used offline
• Standardized web technologies
• Cross-device development
• Device capabilities through APIs
• Tools, Frameworks, IDEs
• “… is the future of mobile applications” Google
4 Vodafone Greece devCamp
Start building widgets
What you need:
• Vodafone Apps Manager (Developer)
• Widget Packager application
• ZIP packager
• Opera Desktop Browser
• Widget tutorials
• Upload your widget to the Vodafone platform
5 Vodafone Greece devCamp
Keep it simple
6 Vodafone Greece devCamp
• A Widget is distributed as a regular zip file with .wgt file extension.
• This archive contains all the files necessary to run the widget.
• It must contain the following files:
The widget main document index.html & configuration file config.xml
• Files located at the widget structure's root or in a sub-directory of this root.
• Script and css files are located in distinct sub-directories.
7 Vodafone Greece devCamp
Example of index.html & config.xml
8 Vodafone Greece devCamp
Example skin directory
9 Vodafone Greece devCamp
Example js directory
10 Vodafone Greece devCamp
Example eBook from .flv .wgt
11 Vodafone Greece devCamp
Widgets @ Wii
Watch video from http://www.qik.com/video/2200269
12 Vodafone Greece devCamp