Promoting & Protecting In Today’s Social Currency - Perth
Promoting & Protecting In Today’s Social Currency 24/2/11
#1‐ You are not your customer• “People dont relate to organisations, they relate to people." • This is an important insight. You may not use social, but that doesnt mean that your stakeholders dont use social. • You are not your customer.
Three decades of community involvement1980sDevelop the bestpossible projectsolution and tell the 1990scommunity Develop the“Telling” best possible project solution 2000s and consult the Present the issues to community the community, “Selling” highlighting negotiables and non-negotiables, and work together to develop the best possible solution “Involving”
With online community engagement• Ensure online outcomes reflect You can: the needs of the community• Limit misinformation about your project using online strategies• Improve the perception of your organisation in the eyes of the local community by focusing on the future not the past
C2030 case study “...there is a new willingness maybe among younger Western Australians to say, actually, I do want to have my voice heard, and I do want to be part of this discussion.” Geoff Hutchison - ABC Radio at C2030
Plan for the SpanishInquisitionDon’t pretend it can’thappen to you. Makedigital part of yourpublic affairs andissues managementplans.
As Monty Python used to say,no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Montara‐ PTTEP• 21 August 2009: Uncontrolled leak of oil, gas and water from Montara WHP in Timor Sea• 690km west of Darwin; 250km north west of Truscott
Domino’s YouTube incident• The Dominos Youtube Incident took place in April 2009 when two thirty‐ something employees of a North Carolina Domino’s Pizza recorded themselves sticking some cheese up their noses and farting on the food. • And Dominos U.S.A. president, Patrick Doyle, issued an apology on YouTube.
Understand your KPIsDigital strategies are notcreated equally. Develophighly defined strategiesbased on your specificKPIs. What does ROI(return on influence) meanfor you?
Influencing the influencer • A successful online marketing campaign will tap the (right) few to reach g hl yD i g i ta l i s h i i ng the manyfragmen ted, mean ll audience s are sma • For example, a network of 1,000 = 500,000 links or connections to others • 10% influence the remaining 90%
Return on Influence (ROI) KPIs: Volume= reach & frequency Engagement = time spent with your brand Conversion= anything showing actionReach X Frequency + (Sentiment + Ecosystem) = Return on Influence Time Spent
Navy considerations in the age of social mediaSailors—ask yourself the following:• Have you talked to your spouse (siblings, parents, significant other) about what will happen if you go missing or are killed?• Have you considered adjusting your privacy settings? http://www.slideshare.net/USNavySocialMedia/recommended‐facebook‐privacy‐ settings‐august‐2010• Would the information you have publicly available now be acceptable to you if you went missing or were killed? • Have you considered a power of attorney to give your next‐of‐kin the ability to manage and/or turn off your social media site(s)?• Have you talked to your immediate family about their privacy settings? Information they share about you could be made public depending on their privacy settings• Have you ever Googled yourself? Think about what information would be available to the media or enemies if they were to search for your name online.