There is a lot going on. You’ve just heard a lot of exciting and useful statistics. You may even be feeling overwhelmed. Your head may feel like this picture. I’m going to make it easy. I’m going to ask you to keep four things in mind in this next 30 min, and I’m going to leave you with 3 take-aways for your organisations.
Gov depts, private companies, small smes to large organisations can do this- make it a real person with a real face and name.
OW and Fitzroy store
Not listening and monitoring online media can have catastrophic results. It’s where news breaks. And anyone can break the news. Preparing for issues/crisis online
Make sure you can respond to an issue in the same medium that the news breaks.
How you deal with catastrophic events or loss of life is a unique issues management communications strategy. Things you can do today include: Creating a dark site, ready to go live at a moments notice if needed, the site should be simple, but inclusive of not only those directly affected, but those living through it who didn’t loss life, property or business. Site should articulate what is happening, all required information, support groups, etc.
It’s critical to deliver on relevance, simplicity and transparency - as well as to just plain deliver. Tap into the key values of connectivity, authenticity, adventure and style…or risk being ignored. Go where they already are
http://www.slideshare.net/USNavySocialMedia Navy officers can have a voice, because they have been educated and understand protocols, they have guidelines
When specific Sailors become of interest to the media, where do reporters go to find more information and photos?How would you feel if your Facebook photo became the one used by the media in a news story about you?Imagine the heightened sensitivity when the media interest surrounds a Sailor who is MIA or KIA
Promoting & Protecting In Today’s Social Currency
Protecting In Today’s
By Dena Vassallo
Professional Public Relations (PPR)
#1- You are not your customer
“People don't relate to organisations, they
relate to people."
This is an important insight. You may not use
social, but that doesn't mean that your
stakeholders don't use social.
You are not your customer.
Three decades of
Develop the best
solution and tell the
and consult the
Present the issues to
and work together to
develop the best
With online community
Ensure online outcomes reflect the
needs of the community
Limit misinformation about your project
using online strategies
Improve the perception of your
organisation in the eyes of the local
community by focussing on the future
not the past
C2030 case study
“...there is a new willingness
maybe among younger
Western Australians to say,
actually, I do want to have
my voice heard, and I do
want to be part of this
- ABC Radio at C2030
Plan for the Spanish
Don’t pretend it can’t
happen to you. Make
digital part of your
public affairs and
As Monty Python used to say,
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
21 August 2009: Uncontrolled leak of oil, gas
and water from Montara WHP in Timor Sea
690km west of Darwin; 250km north west of
Domino’s YouTube incident
The Domino's Youtube Incident took
place in April 2009 when two thirty-something
employees of a North Carolina Domino’s
Pizza recorded themselves sticking some
cheese up their noses and farting on the food.
And Domino's U.S.A. president, Patrick Doyle,
issued an apology on YouTube.
Understand your KPIs
Digital strategies are not
created equally. Develop
highly defined strategies
based on your specific
KPIs. What does ROI
(return on influence) mean
Influencing the influencer
A successful online marketing campaign will
tap the (right) few to reach the many
For example, a network of 1,000 = 500,000
links or connections to others
10% influence the remaining 90%Digital is highly
audiences are small
Return on Influence (ROI)
Volume= reach & frequency
Engagement = time spent with your brand
Conversion= anything showing action
Reach X Frequency
+ (Sentiment + Ecosystem) = Return on Influence
Push-Pull Online Marketing
People Like Me
Navy considerations in the
age of social media
Sailors—ask yourself the following:
Have you talked to your spouse (siblings, parents, significant other) about
what will happen if you go missing or are killed?
Have you considered adjusting your privacy settings?
Would the information you have publicly available now be acceptable to you if
you went missing or were killed?
Have you considered a power of attorney to give your next-of-kin the ability to
manage and/or turn off your social media site(s)?
Have you talked to your immediate family about their privacy settings?
Information they share about you could be made public depending
on their privacy settings
Have you ever Googled yourself? Think about what information would
be available to the media or enemies if they were to search for your