Map of Thomas
for the division
of states West
What Region is Michigan Located In?
• East North Central – according to Dept. of
• Great Lakes – Many college regional's are called the
Great Lakes Region
• Eastern – As in the Detroit Pistons Conference and
the Eastern Time Zone
• Central – As in the Detroit Lions Conference
• Mid-American – as in the Mid-American
• Jumpstart Assignment
– What does this picture tell you about Michigan’s first
people? (Write your answer in
• Notes: Michigan’s Early
• Assignment: The Early
Michigan – What’s with the name?
• Comes from two native Algonquian words:
–Michi – meaning “great or big”
–Gama – meaning “lake”
• The term first came into use by the French in
1681 in reference to Lac de Michigami or (Lake
• Michigania was actually first the proposed
name for a territory in present day northern
Wisconsin and the southwest Upper Peninsula.
Native Peoples of Michigan
• The First Natives of Michigan were known as
Paleo-Indians who are believed to have
migrated from Russia
in 12000 B.C.
• Archaic Period – 8000 B.C. – 1000 B.C. - glaciers
recede to the north giving rise to hardwood
forests in the south
• Woodland Period – 1000 B.C. – A.D. 1650 –
Agriculture begins to flourish
The Mound Builders
300 B.C. – A.D. 500
• Built conical mounds for
ceremonies and funerals.
• Traded with natives from the west.
Archaeologists know they traded because of the
artifacts left behind were similar to those in
other parts of Michigan and the Rocky