Carbon Track & Trace - CTT
• Monitoring, Reporting, Understanding of city-level
greenhouse gas emissions
• Both emission inventories and real-time local
• Better accounting leads to better prioritization of
• Part of larger SmartCities approaches
• CTT 2.0 consortium
• NTNU, DTU
• ICLEI-World, ICLEI-Europe, LSCE, South Pole Group,
Virtual City Systems
• Trondheim Municipality, Vejle Municipality, Sør-
Trøndelag Fylkeskommune, T:Lab, NumaScale,
Norwegian Institute for Air Research
• Additional local projects, collaboration with DTU, H2020
proposals, Smart Sustainable Cities initiatives
Approach and Activities
•Integration of measured GHG data into city planning and
•Deployment of LoRa sensor network in Trondheim and Vejle
•Development of an analytics framework of GHC emissions
•Work towards GPC-compliant inventories
• Scaling out, deployment/testing internationally
CTT Value Chain
• Using local data helps to see effects of local actions.
• Good data is a foundation for better decision making.
• To get the most out of the existing open datasets, we
need to invest in ground sensors. This will enable
detailed monitoring of city-level emissions.
• Low-cost sensors can give more detailed local insights.
• Open datasets can reveal patterns in emissions.
• CTT allows for fast feedback loops for decision makers.
Dr. Dirk Ahlers
56.000 people in Vejle City
112.000 in the municipality of Vejle
1000 more every year
9.th in Denmark
Part of East-jutland cluster of 1 mio. peolpe
City centre in a
to water and
– it all piles op in
the low lying
• Focus on energy and
sustainability since 2007
• Resilience strategy 2016
Shift in focus:
Energy - kWh
Security of supply
Activities => doesn’t effect
Actual level and impact =>
We need new approches =>
Sensors and cars
in country side
• Data are open - data.vejle.dk
• Data are visible
• Data are useful
• Data are understandable
• Understanding of current level
• Is there a change over time?
• Does our activities have an
• Can we change plans on basis of
• Can knowledge move people?
• LoRaWAN network
• Experience with city network and
IoT – how can we use that in Vejle?
• Gain knowledge inhouse and get
ready for the future
+45 24 76 63 33