• What do we read?
• Newspapers & supplements
• Religious Hymns(!)
• Professional Books/Journals
• Text Books
• To know what’s happening around us
• To understand the subject matter
• To boost / enhance our imagination
• To increase power of judgement
• To imbibe ethical / cultural values
• To cultivate social sense
• To understand human life / mind
• To experience / experiment new things
Role of a
• Emphasizing importance of reading
• Especially good reading
• Recommend specific suitable Titles
• Regular compulsory feedback
• Counselling, Directing, Guiding
• Co-ordination with the Librarian
• Encouragement (book-prize)
Role of a Librarian
Co-ordination with Teachers
Management Reports (Stats)
• Orientation of teachers
• Library Activities
• Teacher Based Activities
• Open access system
• Project work method
• Book review method
• Classroom library
• Celebration of library week
• Story telling method
Orientation of teachers
• Due to the advancement of science, teachers
have to equip themselves with current
knowledge. So they have to visit the library often
for knowing resent developments in their
subject. This creates a healthy impression on
students and encourages students to visit the
Open access Library
• Open access provides a close relationship
between the reader & the read. The reader can
easily browse through the books. While
browsing, he can find many more titles of his
interest, which increase his visits to the library
• Alerting service
• Each & every classroom should have a wall
cabinet with glass sliding door. On birthday of
any student of that class the teacher should
encourage the student to donate 2 books for the
class library instead of distributing toffees to the
children .The book may be of any subject like
novel, biography, quiz, sports, or spiritual book.
So, there will be a variety of literature in their
class library which can be used during
arrangement periods also. The best quality
&quantity classroom library can be awarded.
Celebration of library week
• By celebrating National Book Week students are
exposed to the tremendous world of
knowledge.Organizing book exhibitions,Quiz on
books & authors, Face to face interaction with
eminent writers, Organizing visits to book fairs &
hi-tech libraries all these activities will increase
their thirst for knowledge.
Book review method
• Students may be asked to write book reviews for
the books read from the library.
• The students who reads maximum number of
books & variety of books may be awarded book
review prize during the annual day celebration.
This acts as an incentive & encourage the
students to read more & more books.
Personality of the librarian
• The librarian should provide personal Assistance
in locating a book or information. Librarian
should have pleasing personality, Sense of
humour, humble, soft spoken, co-Operative,
always eager to help readers, active, Energitic,
enthusiastic & love for books. All These qualities
help the librarian in attracting More & more
readers to the library.
Importance of Reading.
It gives them societal recognition.
It enables them to discover new things.
It enables them to answer their exam questions
better for better scores.
It gives them educational success