ONLINE MOVIE TICKET BOOKING WEBSITE
1. About Kan Software
4. Introduction to Servlets
5. Servlet Life Cycle
6. Brief about JSP
7. Advantage of JSP over Servlets
8. Snapshots of the project
ABOUT KAN SOFTWARE
• KAN Software is a software development and IT
outsourcing company in Udaipur started in 1999. KAN
Software, mainly a software consulting firm provides
ERPs and business solutions to various sectors across the
• KAN Software specialize in the development of custom
software applications and software outsourcing services.
Specifically, company carries out custom programming,
database design and software application development .
• Its motto is that nothing more is essential to ensure
customer delight than quality.
• HTML is a Hyper Text Markup Language .
• A markup language is a set of markup tags.
• HTML documents are described by HTML tags
• HTML elements are written with a start tag, with
an end tag, with the content in between
• HTML elements can have attributes
• Attributes provide additional information about an
• Each HTML tag describes different document
• CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets
• CSS describes how HTML elements are to be
displayed on screen, paper, or in other media
• CSS saves a lot of work. It can control the layout of
multiple web pages all at once
• Types of CSS
INTRODUCTION TO SEVLETS
• A java servlet is a java class extending HTTPServlet
• A java servlet class implements the doGet(), doPost()
or other equivalent HTTP method and (usually) prints
at the standard output an html file
• A java servlet class can contain any kind of java code
the JDK can compile
Servlet Life Cycle
The web container
maintains the life
cycle of a servlet
• Servlet class is loaded.
• Servlet instance is created.
• Init method is invoked.
• Service method is invoked.
• Destroy method is invoked.
is responsible to
load the servlet
The servlet class
is loaded when
the first request
for the servlet is
received by the
the instance of a
servlet after loading
the servlet class.
The servlet instance
is created only once
in the servlet life
The web container calls the
init method only once after
creating the servlet
The init method is used to
initialize the servlet. It is
the life cycle method of the
Syntax of the init method
is given below:
public void init(Servlet
Config config) throws S
The web container calls the service
method each time when request for
the servlet is received.
If servlet is not initialized, it follows
the first three steps as described
above then calls the service method.
If servlet is initialized, it calls the
Notice that servlet is initialized
The syntax of the service method of
the Servlet interface is given below:
public void service(ServletRequ
est request, ServletResponse res
ponse) throws ServletException
The web container calls the
destroy method before
removing the servlet
instance from the service.
It gives the servlet an
opportunity to clean up
any resource for example
memory, thread etc.
The syntax of the destroy
method of the Servlet
interface is given below:
public void destroy()
JAVA SERVER PAGES(JSP)
• JSP technology is used to create web application just
like Servlet technology. It can be thought of as an
extension to the servlet because it provides more
functionality than servlet.
• A JSP page contains HTML code and JSP tags. The
jsp pages are easier to maintain than servlet because
we can separate designing and development. It
provides some additional features such as Expression
Language, Custom Tag etc.
JSP Scripting Element
• The scripting elements provides the ability to insert
java code inside the jsp. There are three types of
• Scripting elements:
1. scriptlet tag
2. expression tag
3. declaration tag
Advantage of JSP over Servlet
• JSP is the extension to the servlet technology. We can use all
the features of Servlet in JSP.
• In addition to, we can use implicit objects, predefined tags,
expression language and Custom tags in JSP, that makes JSP
• JSP can be easily managed because we can easily separate our
business logic with presentation logic. In servlet, we mix our
business logic with the presentation logic.
• If JSP page is modified, we don't need to redeploy the project.
The servlet code needs to be updated and recompiled if we
have to change the look and feel of the application.
The goals of our system are:
• To provide a anytime anyplace service for the
• To minimize the number of staff at the ticket box
• To promote the film on the internet
• To increase the profit
• Database Programming with JDBC & Java by
• The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt.