Healthcare Information for All
A global community of purpose
1. What issue are you trying to
solve with Dgroups?
Problem: People are dying for lack of
HIFA goal: Every person will have access to the
healthcare information they need to protect their
own health and the health of others
WHO letter of support: “Healthcare Information
For All is an ambitious goal but it can be achieved
if all stakeholders work together” 2
2. How have you used Dgroups?
Launch: 2006 Mombassa ($3k from BMJ)
Method: Reader-Focused Moderation
1. Agree/define HIFA goal (2006)
2. Explore how to improve availability and use of healthcare
3. Build critical mass / advocacy (2007-)
2. How have you used Dgroups? (contd)
Result: >18,000 members, 5 Dgroups, 3
languages, 300 supporting organisations, 40
funders, 12 projects.
• Main strategic partner:
• Main funding partner: 4
3.Why would you
recommend Dgroups to others?
1. Dgroups works (Community Cloud)
2. Dgroups is a partnership of UN agencies,
bilateral agencies and NGOs
3. Dgroups is committed to international
development, human rights and social justice