Successfully reported this slideshow.
Apr 30, 2007
This power point highlights the basic information taught in our 5th grade class.
The Skeletal System
-Your Support System Bones
A: Purpose - The function of the Skeletal system 1. To Support 3.To Protect 2. Gives Shape 4. Helps Move
B; Facts: 1. ___________ Bones in the Skeleton 206 2. Classifided into 4 groups: A: Skull B: Backbone C: Trunk bones D: Arm and Leg Bones
C: Parts: 1. Skull A. Protects ___________and gives head shape B. Made up of 22 bones(only moveable is jaw) C. The smallest are in the inner ear Brain
2. Backbone: A: _______________Spinal Coard B: Made of 33 bones called vertebra Protects C: Support weight of body
3: Ribcage A: Protects ___________ and Lungs Heart
4. Pelvis A: Protects the and the. Liver Kidneys
II. Cartilage: Ex: Gristle of meat A: Characteristics 1. Smooth 2. Spongelike 3. Tough and Flexible
B. Function 1. Cushions bones when you walk and move. 2. Reduces friction on ends of the bones.
C. Location 1. Found between bones 2. Nose, ear, trachea (Windpipe)
III. Ligaments A. Fibers 1. Strong and Tough 2. Hold bones together at Joints
IV. Joints: Where bones are joined together A. Purpose- Allow for Movement
B. Types of Joints: 1. Fixed joint- Moves very little Skull
2. Ball and socket- Allows to move in large circles. Hips shoulders
3. Hinge Joints- -Allows movement back and forth Knees Elbows
4-Gliding Joint Allows bones to move in a twisting motion Wrist Between Vertebrae
5. Pivot Joint Movement up and down and in a circle Connects Head
V. Keeping Bones Healthy A. Need _______________ Calcium Without this, bones become soft
B. Vitamin D Good Source is MILK
C. Diseases of the Bones 1. Osteoporosis -results in a loss of Calcium, bones become soft -Leaves bones thin, brittle and easily broken
2. Scoliosis Lateral curvature of spine - Unequal shoulders and back pain
3. Rheumatoid Arthrits An inflammation of joints -Chronic Pain
VI. Safety A. Use Helmets B. Keeping things off steps to prevent falls
VII. First Aid A. Sprains <ul><li>Apply ice pack for the first 12 hours </li></ul><ul><li>and heat pack for next 12 hours. </li></ul>
B. Broken 1. DO NOT MOVE 2. GET HELP!
C. Two types of broken bones 1. Fracture 2. Compound Fracture Bones break through the skin