Follows historical precedents...
Core tenet of Industrial Revolution is
Unix is less an operation system and more a
federation of small utilities
Free Software Foundation Development
Beneﬁts of a provisioning toolchain...
Smaller interchangeable parts mitigates risk
Help users ﬁgure out how tools ﬁt together
Stop the constant reinvention of the the wheel
Help toolsmiths align efforts
Criteria for fully automated provisioning...
1. Be able to automatically provision an entire environment
-- from "bare-metal" to running business services --
completely from speciﬁcation
2. No direct management of individual boxes
3. Be able to revert to a "previously known good" state at
4. It’s easier to re-provision than it is to repair
5. Anyone on your team with minimal domain speciﬁc
knowledge can deploy or update an environment
Document methodologies and best practices
Deﬁne an architectural vision of the tool chain with an
eye towards phased evolution
Maintain a repository of design patterns and anti-
patterns that describe useful approaches to tool
Mailing list to discuss approaches, anecdotes and
applications of approaches and tools
Join the Conversation
Share a Best Practice
See you at Velocity in Santa Clara!