BEER DISCUSSION QUESTIONS1) What are the 4 main ingredients in beer? 2) What are the 2 main categories in beer? 3) What does "ABV" stand for? 4) What does "IBU" stand for? 5) What is Americas oldest brewery? 6) What is Americas oldest microbrewery? 7) What constitutional amendment outlawed beer 7 alcohol in America? 8) How many calories are in a 12-ounce Bud Light? 9) How many calories are in a 12-ounce Guinness?ARTICLES DISCUSSION QUESTIONSA) Dear, economy: This Buds for you.1) Approximately how many jobs does the beer industry provide? 2) How much money does the beer industry contribute to the economy each year? B) Craft Beer Industry Accelerating Sales Growth 1) Who are the "Big 3" companies in the American beer industry? 2) What % does craft brewing represent in the overall US beer market? C) How the Three-Tiered Beer Distribution System Works 1) Before prohibition, who held ownership stakes in the bars? 2) Who did the 21st Amendment give complete control over alcohol regulation to? 3) What are the 3 tiers of the beer distribution system? 4) Why are small breweries at a disadvantage compared to the large breweries with distributors?HOW BEER SAVED THE WORLD DISCUSSION QUESTIONS1) About how long have human beings like us been around? 2) What happened in 9000BC that changed the world forever? 3) The agricultural revolution was started by what? 4) Experts originally thought that barley was harvested to make what? 5) How did primitive people 10,000 years ago accidentally stumble across beer? 6) Experts believe that it was what about beer that changed the world forever? 7) What was the reason for inventing writing? 8) One of the most important word lists (dictionary) has over how many words related to beer? 9) How many jugs of beer did the most powerful Egyptian God Ra ask for in the afterlife? 10) What was the going rate of an Egyptian pyramid builder per day? 11) By the 16th century people drank how many liters of beer per year? 12) Who were the master brewers in medieval Europe? 13) What group of people took over brewing and in the process transformed Europe? 14) What was Ben Franklins quote about beer? 15) How did beer save the travelers on the Mayflower & determine where they landed? 16) Without barley or hops what did the settlers make their beer with to keep the Plymouth settlement alive? 17) The struggle for freedom from the British began in what tavern? 18) What new type of beer took America by storm in the 19th century? 19) When was the first commercial fridge invented? 20) What did the machine that changed the world make?
BEER QUESTIONS1) What is your favorite beer?2) What are the 4 main ingredients in beer?3) What are the 2 main categories of beer?4) What does "ABV" stand for?5) What does "IBU stand for?6) What is Americas oldest brewery?7) What is Americas largest microbrewery?8) What Constitutional Amendment outlawed beer in America?9) How many calories are in a 12-ounce Bud Light?10) How many calories are in a 12-ounce Guinness?
BEER IS THE 3RD MOST POPULAR DRINK IN THE WORLD.
TODAY THE BEER BREWING INDUSTRY IS A GLOBAL BUSINESS.-MORE THAN 35 BILLION GALLONS ARE SOLD GLOBALLYPER YEAR.-THE SALE OF BEER PRODUCES TOTAL GLOBALREVENUUES OF $300 BILLION EACH YEAR.-THE ANHEUSER-BUSCH InBEV COMPANY IS THE LARGESTBREWER IN THE WORLD.
ANHEUSER-BUSCH InBEV-HOLDS 25% OF THE GLOBAL BEER MARKET SHARE.-GENERATED $37 BILLION REVENUE IN 2009.-45% OF SALES COME FROM NORTH AMERICA.-EMPLOYS 116,000 PEOPLE IN OVER 30 COUNTRIES.
ANHEUSER-BUSCH InBEV’S TOP 3 BRANDSBELGIUM GERMANY AMERICA
BEER IS ONE OF THE WORLD’S OLDEST PREPARED BEVERAGES.-DATES BACK TO 9500 BC.-RECORDED IN THE WRITTEN HISTORY OF ANCIENTEGYPT.-ARCHAEOLOGISTS SPECULATE THAT BEER WASINSTRUMENTAL IN THE FORMATION OF CIVILIZATIONS.
-THE OLDEST KNOW ARCHAEOLOGICAL EVIDENCE OFBREWING DATES BACK TO 7000 BC.-THE OLDEST KNOWN CHEMICAL EVIDENCE OF BEERDATES BACK TO 3500 BC.-THE WRITTEN WORD WAS INVENTED BY THE SUMERIANSIN 3000 BC. A BEER RECIPE WAS FOUND AMONG THEEARLIEST SUMERIAN TABLETS IN A POEM “THE HYMN TONINKASI” (THE GODDESS OF BREWING).
-BEER WAS SPREAD THROUGH EUROPE BY GERMANIC &CELTIC TRIBES AS FAR BACK AS 3000 BC.-EARLY EUROPEAN BEERS CONTAINED: -FRUITS -HONEY -SPICES -TYPES OF PLANTS-THEY DID NOT CONTAIN ACURRENT COMMON INGREDIENT: -HOPS
-DURING THE FIRST HALF OF THE MIDDLE AGES (500-1000AD) BREWING BEGINS TO BE PRACTICED IN EUROPE.-IT WAS USED FOR TRADING, PAYMENT, & TAXING.-HOPS BEGINS TO BE USED IN THE BREWING PROCESS IN1000 AD.-BEER MAKING BECOMES A COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE INGERMANY, AUSTRIA, & ENGLAND IN 1200 AD.
REINHEITSGEBOT “GERMAN BEER PURITY LAW”-ENACTED ON APRIL 23, 1516 BY KING WILHELM IV OF PRUSSIA.-STATES THAT THE ONLY INGREDIENTS ALLOWED TO BE USED FOR BREWING BEER ARE BARLEY, HOPS, & WATER.-ENACTED FOR 2 REASONS:1) HEALTH -BEER = HYDRATION.2) ECONOMICS -BARLEY = BIG BUSINESS.
OKTOBERFEST-ESTABLISHED IN MUNICH ON OCTOBER 12, 1810 AS ANOFFICIAL BEER FESTIVAL.-16 DAY FESTIVAL FROM LATE SEPTEMBER TO FIRSTWEEKEND IN OCTOBER.-ORIGINAL FESTIVAL WAS TO CELEBRATE THEMARRIAGE OF CROWN PRINCE LUDWIG TO PRINCESSTHERESE OF BAVARIA.-5+ MILLION PEOPLE ATTEND EVERY YEAR.-SINCE 1950 THE FESTIVAL HAS OPENED WITH A 12 GUNSALUTE & THE TAPPING OF THE FIRST KEG OFOKTOBERFEST BEER BY THE INCUMBENT MAYOR OFMUNICH.
-1490’s COLUMBUS FOUND INDIANS MAKING BEER FROMCORN & BLACK BIRCH SAP.
-1587: THE FIRST BEER WAS BREWED IN THE NEW WORLD INVIRGINIA, BUT THE COLONISTS SENT REQUESTS TO ENGLANDFOR BETTER BEER.-1612: THE FIRST COMMERCIAL BREWERY OPENED IN NEWAMSTERDAM (NEW YORK).-1620: PILGRIMS LAND AT PLYMOUTH ROCK BECAUSE THEIRBEER SUPPLIES WERE RUNNING LOW.-SOLDIERS IN THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR RECEIVED RATIONSOF A QUART OF BEER/DAY.
THE MODERN ERA OF US BREWING BEGAN IN THE 1800’S-1829: THE OLDEST OPERATING BREWING COMPANY INTHE US IS ESTABLISHED. -D.G. YUENGLING & SON.-1870: ADOLPHUS BUSCH PIONEERS THE USE OF DOUBLE-WALLED RAILCARS, A NETWORK OF ICEHOUSES TO MAKEBUDWEISER THE FIRST NATIONAL BRAND.-1876: PASTEURIZATION DEVELOPED TO STABILIZE BEERS22 YEARS BEFORE THE PROCESS WAS APPLIED TO MILK.-1860: COMMERCIAL REFRIGERATION IS DEVELOPED.-1880: APPROXIMATELY 2,300 BREWERIES IN US.-1892: THE CROWN CAP IS INVENTED IN BALTIMORE BYWILLIAM PAINTER.
D.G. YUENGLING & SON “YUENGLING”-HEADQUARTERED IN POTTSVILLE, PA.-FOUNDED BY DAVID YUENGLING AS “EAGLE BREWERY” IN 1829.-CHANGED NAME TO “D.G. YUENGLING & SON” IN 1873 WHENFREDERICK YUENGLING JOINED HIS FATHER IN RUNNING THECOMPANY.-PRODUCES 3.6 MILLION BARRELS ANNUALLY, WHICH PLACES IT 6THAMONG AMERICAN COMMERCIAL BREWERIES.
VOLSTEAD ACT-A BILL ENACTED BY CONGRESS ON OCTOBER 28, 1919 ESTABLISHING THE LEGAL DEFINITION OF INTOXICATING LIQUOR, AS WELL AS THE PENALTIES FOR PRODUCING IT.-PURPOSE:1) TO PROHIBIT INTOXICATING BEVERAGES (.5% ALCOHOL).2) TO REGULATE THE MANUFACTURE, PRODUCTION, USE & SALE OF HIGH-PROOF SPIRITS.3) TO ENSURE AN AMPLE SUPPLY OF ALCOHOL & PROMOTE ITS USE IN SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF FUEL, DYE, & OTHER LAWFUL INDUSTRIES.
PROHIBITION-18TH AMENDMENT OF CONSTITUTION WAS RATIFIED ONJANUARY 16, 1919 & WENT INTO EFFECT ON JANUARY 17,1920.-IT REDUCED THE AMOUNT OF LIQUOR CONSUMED, BUTALSO STIMULATED THE PROLIFERATION OFUNDERGROUND CRIMINAL ACTIVITY.-BOOTLEGGING: THE ILLEGAL BUSINESS OFTRANSPORTING ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES WHERE SUCHTRANSPORTATION IS FORBIDDEN BY LAW.-SPEAKEASY: AN ESTABLISHMENT THAT ILLEGALLYSOLD ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.-DECEMBER 5, 1933: 21ST AMENDMENT WAS RATIFIED &REPEALED 18TH AMENDMENT.
“How Entrepreneurs Create Business Opportunities With The Super Bowl, NFL”
1) In the eleven years since hosting its last Super Bowl, New Orleans has completely transformeditself, establishing new industries, fostering entrepreneurship, and creating an economic impactthrough the city’s what?-CREATIVE ENERGY2) What three-year-old sports, theater, and entertainment production company, whose timelyentrance into the New Orleans market has made them the city’s premier provider of event designand management?-THE SOLOMON GROUP3) During the rebranding and multi million-dollar renovation of the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, TheSolomon group was hired to design and install a comprehensive multi-media system for thesuperdome’s outdoor entertainment venue called what?-CHAMPION SQUARE4) What Arizona company has been designing and fabricating graphics for the NFL since SuperBowl XLII?-BLUEMEDIA
5) What company created products using 15,000 square feet of fabric from Super BowlXLIV banners in order to raise money for several environmental initiatives & make SuperBowl XLVII the most environmentally-friendly sporting event ever?-REpurposingNOLA6) What will the companies Strike It Green & the Green Project be doing in an effort tobring life to materials that are otherwise thrown out and wasted?-RECYCLING PROPS, BASE MATERIALS, & CARPETING FROM THE SUPER BOWL SETS& EVENTS7) What New Orleans-based company has been given the opportunity to distribute theirfresh fruit cocktails to the masses at The NFL Experience theme park, the NFL TailgateParty, and the NFL and Super Bowl Host Committee’s Media Party?-COOL FRUIT SENSATIONS
1) The Super Bowl drives the sales of how many cases of beer?-51 MILLION2) What category of beer is an excellent accompaniment for spicy wings?-LAGER3) What brewerys name is taken from the name of an island off the New Hampshire/Maine coast?-SMUTTYNOSE BREWING COMPANY4) What Maine brewery specializes on Belgian beer styles?-ALLAGASH BREWING COMPANY5) What new York brewery specializes in Belgian-style ales?-BREWERY OMMEEGANG6) What family-owned, regional brewery from New York has been in business since the 1800s?-SARANAC
1) About how long have human beings like us been around?-100,000 YEARS2) What happened in 9000BC that changed the world forever?-HUNTERS & GATHERERS IN THE MIDDLE EAST STOPPED WANDERING & STARTEDFARMING3) The agricultural revolution was started by what?-BARLEY4) Experts originally thought that barley was harvested to make what?-BREAD5) How did primitive people 10,000 years ago accidentally stumble across beer?-HUNTER GATHERERS COLLECTED BARLEY IN POTS. WHEN THEY LEFT IT & IT RAINED THEWET BARLEY PRODUCED SUGARS. MORE RAIN & WILD YEAST CONVERTS THE BARLEYINTO CO2 & ALCOHOL. THE FIRST BEER.
6) Experts believe that it was what about beer that changed the world forever?-BEER’S “FEEL GOOD FACTOR”7) What was the reason for inventing writing?-THE NEED TO RECORD THE PRODUCTION & DISTRIBUTION OF COMMODITIES LIKEBEER8) One of the most important word lists (dictionary) has over how many words related tobeer?-1609) How many jugs of beer did the most powerful Egyptian God Ra ask for in the afterlife?-1,00010) What was the going rate of an Egyptian pyramid builder per day?-1 GALLON OF BEER
11) By the 16th century people drank how many liters of beer per year?-30012) Who were the master brewers in medieval Europe?-MONKS13) What group of people took over brewing and in the process transformed Europe?-ENTREPRENEURS14) What was Ben Franklins quote about beer?-BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US & WANTS US TO BE HAPPY15) How did beer save the travelers on the Mayflower & determine where they landed?-KEPT THEM ALIVE BY KEEPING THEM HYDRATED BECAUSE WATER WOULD SPOIL.HOPS KEPT THE BEER FROM SPOILING. THE SHIP RAN OUT OF BEER SO THEY HAD TOLAND AT A CLOSER POINT (PLYMOUTH)
16) Without barley or hops what did the settlers make their beer with to keepthe Plymouth settlement alive?-ACORNS17) The struggle for freedom from the British began in what tavern?-GREEN DRAGON TAVERN IN BOSTON18) What new type of beer took America by storm in the 19th century?-LAGER (ARRIVED IN THE 1840’S WITH GERMAN IMMIGRANTS)19) When was the first commercial fridge invented?-1881 (THE COLD AMMONIA MACHINE)20) What did the machine that changed the world make?-BEER BOTTLES (1904 BY MICHAEL OWENS)
MAIN INGREDIENTS1) WATER2) BARLEY3) HOPS4) YEAST
1) WATER-BEER IS COMPOSED MOSTLY OF WATER (90%).-DIFFERENT REGIONS HAVE WATER WITH DIFFERENTMINERAL COMPONENTS THAT ARE BETTER SUITED FORMAKING CERTAIN TYPES OF BEER.-DUBLIN, IRELAND HAS HARD WATER WHICH IS WELL SUITEDFOR A STOUT.-BURTON, ENGLAND HAS GYPSUM IN ITS WATER WHICHBENEFITS MAKING PALE ALE.
2) BARLEY-BEER NEEDS A STARCH SOURCE TO PROVIDE THEFERMENTABLE MATERIAL.-THE STARCH SOURCE IS ALSO A KEY DETERMINANT OF THESTRENGTH & FLAVOR OF THE BEER.-THE MOST COMMON STARCH SOURCE USED IS BARLEY.-BARLEY IS A CEREAL GRAIN.
3) HOPS-HOPS ARE THE FLOWER PORTION OF THE HOP VINE.-THE MAJOR COMMERCIAL USE OF HOPS IS AS A BEER INGREDIENT.-HOPS PROVIDE 2 MAIN PURPOSES TO BEER:1) FLAVORING AGENT2) PRESERVATIVE AGENT-HOPS CONTAIN SEVERAL CHARACTERISTICS THAT BREWERS DESIRE: -CONTRIBUTE TO A BITTERNESS THAT BALANCES THE SWEETNESS OF THE MALT (IBV). -CONTRIBUTE FLORAL, CITRUS, & HERBAL AROMAS AND FLAVORS TO BEER.
4) YEAST-A MICRO-ORGANISM CLASSIFIED IN THE FUNGI KINGDOM.-RESPONSIBLE FOR FERMENTATION IN BEER.-METABOLISES THE SUGARS EXTRACTED FROM THE BARLEY.
1) MALTING-THE PROCESS WHERE THE BARLEY IS MADE READY FOR BREWING.-3 STEPS:A) STEEPING -THE BARLEY IS PUT INTO A VAT WITH WATER & SOAKED FOR 40 HOURS.B) GERMINATION -THE BARLEY IS SPREAD OUT ON THE FLOOR OF THE GERMINATION ROOM FOR 5 DAYS TO ALLOW THE STARCHES TO BREAKDOWN. -THE RESULTING PRODUCT IS CALLED “GREEN MALT.”C) KILNING -GREEN MALT IS DRIED OUT USING A HIGH TEMPERATURE KILN. -WHEN KILNING IS COMPLETE THE FINISHED PRODUCT IS CALLED “MALT.”
2) MASHING-CONVERTS THE STARCHES RELEASED DURING MALTING INTOSUGARS THAT CAN BE FERMENTED.-THE MILLED GRAIN IS DROPPED INTO A LARGE VESSEL CALLED A“MASH TUN.”-THE GRAIN & WATER ARE MIXED TOGETHER IN THE MASH TUN TOCREATE A CEREAL MASH.
3) LAUTERING-LEFTOVER SUGAR RICH WATER FROM MASHING ISSTRAINED TO CREATE “WORT.”
4) BOILING-WORT IS MOVED INTO A LARGE TANK KNOWN AS A“KETTLE” WHERE IT IS BOILED WITH HOPS.-IMPORTANT DECISIONS ABOUT FLAVOR, COLOR, &AROMA ARE MADE DURING THIS STAGE.
5) WHIRLPOOLING-SEPARATES THE TRUB FROM THE WORT -TRUB: LEFTOVER SEDIMENT-SMALLER BREWERIES OFTEN USE THE BREW KETTLE ASA WHIRLPOOL
6) FERMENTING-THE HOPPED WORT IS COOLED IN A “HEAT EXCHANGER.”-AFTER COOLED, IT GOES INTO A “FERMENTATION TANK” WHEREYEAST IS ADDED.-DURING FERMENTATION THE SUGARS TURN INTO ALCOHOL.
7) CONDITIONING-THE FERMENTED LIQUID IS PUT INTO A “CONDITIONINGTANK” & ALLOWED TO AGE FOR SEVERAL WEEKS TOSEVERAL MONTHS.
8) FILTERING-THE BEER IS FILTERED TO HELP STABALIZE ITS FLAVOR.
9) PACKAGING-THE FILTERED BEER IS MOVED INTO A HOLDING TANKWHERE IT IS THEN BOTTLED, CANNED, OR KEGGED.
1) What category of beer is made with "top-fermenting" strains of yeast which means that the yeastferments at the top of the fermentation tank?-ALE2) What category of beer ferments best at warmer temperatures, usually around room temperatureand up to about 75° Fahrenheit?-ALE3) What category of beer uses "bottom-fermenting" yeasts which sink to the bottom of the tank andferment there, and because they collect on the bottom of the tank, they can often be reused?-LAGER4) What category of beer ferments at colder temperatures (46-59°F)?-LAGER5) What category of beer tends to mature and ferment faster: ales or lagers?-ALE
6) What category of beer typically ferments over longer periods of time?-LAGER7) The word "lager" comes from what German word, and what does that word mean?-LAGERN8) What style of beer, a type of pale ale, got its name from the high strength recipe that was neededfor the beer to make the long trip from England to India?-INDIA PALE ALE (IPA)9) Pilsner, a type of pale lager, got its name from what city where it was first produced in 1842?-PILSEN (CZECH REPUBLIC)10) What was the first pilsner beer in the world?-PILSNER URQUELL
11) What dark style of beer got its name as a result of its popularity with street & river workers inLondon in the 18th century?-PORTER12) What type of beer got its name as being a generic term given to the strongest porter beers?-STOUT13) What strong, high alcohol content ale beer got its name because it can be strong as wine?-BARLEYWINE14) Unlike conventional ales & lagers, what distinctive type of beer is produced by spontaneousfermentation?-LAMBIC15) What German style wheat beer is served in its traditional, unfiltered form?-HEFEWEIZEN
ALCOHOL BY VOLUME (ABV):-WORLDWIDE STANDARD FOR HOW MUCH ALCOHOL IS CONTAINED IN ANALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE-BEER IS TYPICALLY AROUND 5%-SAM ADAMS RELEASED “UTOPIAS” IS 2002 AS THE STRONGESTCOMMERCIAL BEER IN THE WORLD AT 24% ABV-CURRENT STRONGEST BEER IN THE WORLD IS “ARMAGEDDON” BYBREWMEISTER (SCOTLAND) AT 65%
INTERNATIONAL BITTERNESS UNITS SCALE (IBU):-PROVIDES A MEASURE OF THE BITTERNESS OF BEER-DETERMINED BY THE HOPS USED DURING BREWING-SCALE IS BETWEEN 1-100-DOGFISH HEAD 60 MINUTE IPA: 60 IBU-BUD LIGHT: 10 IBU
PALE ALE-TERM ORIGINALLY USED TO DISTINGUISH THESE ALSES FROM PORTERS & STOUTS-TRADITIONALLY GOLDEN TO COPPER IN COLOR-HIGH IN FLAVOR & BITTERNESS
BLONDE ALE-OFTEN FRUITY-TASTING-OFTEN ABV OF 4-5%
BROWN ALE-DRY & SWEET-VERY LITTLE HOP FLAVOR-NUTTY TASTING BUT CONTAIN NONE
INDIA PALE ALE (IPA)-STYLE OF PALE ALE DEVELOPED IN ENGLAND IN 1700’s-TO KEEP BEER FROM SPOILING ON THE TRIP FROM ENGLAND TO INDIA, EXTRA HOPSWERE ADDED
EXTRA SPECIAL BITTER (ESB)-MEDIUM TO STRONG HOP BITTERNESS (30-55 IBU)-STRONGER ALCOHOL CONTENT (5-7 ABV)
HEFEWEIZEN-”HEFE” MEANS “UNFILTERED” OR “WITH YEAST”-FILTERING STEP IS SKIPPED DURING BREWING PROCESS
PORTER-DARK STYLE ALE BEER ORIGINATING IN LONDON IN THE18TH CENTURY-NAME CAME FROM ITS POPULARITY WITH STREET &RIVER PORTERS
STOUT-A STRONG TYPE OF PORTER BEER-TYPICALLY 7-8%
BARLEY WINE-OFTEN CONSIDERED THE MOST PRIZED OF ALL ALES-HIGH ALCOHOL CONTENT & HOPPY
LAMBICS-REPRESENT THE OLDEST STYLE OF BEER FOUND INTHE MODERN WORLD-SPECIFIC TO BRUSSELS, BELGIUM-DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC IS THE USE OF WILDYEAST OR “SPONTANEOUS” FERMENTATION-MOST HAVE FERMENTATION PERIODS OF 2-3 YEARSIN WOODEN CASKS
LAGER-ORIGINATED IN GERMANY-FERMENTED BETWEEN 45 & 57 DEGREES WITH BOTTOM-FERMENTING YEAST THATCAN BE RE-USED-COLDER BREWING GIVES LAGER A CRISP FLAVOR-YEAST USED TO FERMENT LAGER CAN BE REUSED FROM ONE BATCH TO ANOTHERSO IT IS MORE ECONOMICAL THAN ALE
PILSNER-TYPE OF PALE LAGER-TOOK ITS NAME FROM THE CITY OF PILSEN, CZECHREPUBLIC WHERE IT WAS FIRST PRODUCED
BOCK-STRONG BEERS (6.25%+) THAT ORIGINATED FROM EINBECK, GERMANY(1250)-DARK BEERS PRIMARILY MADE OF WHEAT
HELLES-LIGHTER COLORED BOCKS-”HELLES” MEANS LIGHT IN GERMAN-AVERAGE STRENGTH (6-7.5%) & MEDIUM BITTERNESS (20-35 IBU)
DUNKELS-PRONOUNCED MALTY AROMA MADE FROM MUNICH MALT-OFTEN ARE CHOCOLATY
CRAFT BREWERY-AMERICAN BREWERS ASSOCIATION DEFINES AS: -SMALL, INDEPENDENT, & TRADITIONAL -PRODUCTION SIZE LESS THAN 6,000,000 BEER BARRELS/YEAR -CANNOT BE MORE THAN 24% OWNED BY ANOTHERALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE COMPANY THAT IS NOT ITSELF CRAFTBREWERY BREW PUB-A PUB OR RESTAURANT THAT BREWS BEER ON THE PREMISES
ACCORDING TO THE ASSOCIATION OF BREWERS (AUGUST 2012)-OUT OF 2,126 US BREWERIES, 2,075 ARE CRAFT BREWERIES (97%)
LARGEST AMERICAN CRAFT BREWERY BOSTON BEER COMPANY
3-TIER ALCOHOL DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM-ESTABLISHED AFTER THE REPEAL OF PROHIBITION.-SYSTEM OF ALCOHOL DISTRIBUTION IN US.1) PRODUCERS (BREWERIES)2) DISTRIBUTORS3) RETAILERS (BARS, LIQUOR STORES, GROCERY STORES, ETC.)-PRODUCER SELLS TO DISTRIBUTOR.-DISTRIBUTOR SELLS TO RETAILER.-ONLY RETAILERS MAY SELL TO CONSUMERS.
-BEER IS THE MOST POPULAR ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE INAMERICA-ACCOUNTS FOR ABOUT 85% OF THE VOLUME OFALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES SOLD IN US EACH YEAR-NEARLY 80% OF CONVENIENCE STORES SELL BEER-CONVENIENCE STORE INDUSTRY SELLS MORE THAN 2BILLION US GALLONS OF BEER EACH YEAR -ROUGHLY 1/3 OF ALL BEER PURCHASED IN THE US
1) BY 1900, HOW MANY BREWERIES WERE IN AMERICA?2) BY 1978, HOW MANY BREWERIES WERE IN AMERICA?3) WHAT WAS ANHEUSER-BUSCH’S MARKET SHARE IN 1965?4) WHAT WAS ANHEUSER-BUSCH’S MARKET SHARE IN 1985?5 WHAT WAS ANHEUSER-BUSCH’S MARKET SHARE IN 2005?6) HOW MANY BEERS DOES ANHEUSER-BUSCH SELL TODAY IN AMERICA?7) WHAT % OF THE US BEER MARKET DO THE BIG 3 BREWERIES MAKE UP?8) WHAT % OF THE BEERS SOLD TODAY COME FROM INDEPENDENT BREWERIES?9) WHAT WAS SAM’S FIRST OBSTACLE WITH OPENING DOGFISH HEAD IN DELAWARE?10) IN REGARDS TO DISPLAYING BEER ON SHELVES, WHAT IS THE “BILLBOARD EFFECT?”11) WHAT POSITION IS MOST IMPORTANT WHEN DIPLAYING ON SHELVES?12) WHAT IS A “CATEGORY CAPTAIN?”13) WHO IS THE CATEGORY CAPTAIN IN 75% OF THE TOP GROCERY CHAINS?14) WHO IS THE OFFICAL BEER SPONSOR OF THE NFL?15) HOW MANY BRANDS ARE PART OF THE ANHEUSER-BUSCH FAMILY?16) WHY DID ANHEUSER-BUSCH SUE DOGFISH HEAD?17) SAM BELIEVES THAT LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK WHAT KIND OF BEER?
AT THE TIME OF THE DOCUMENTARY THE BIG 3 AMERICAN BREWERIES WERE:
•90% OF BEER THAT IS DISTRIBUTED THROUGH DISTRIBUTORS IS FROM THE BIG 3.•”MY PASSIONATE LIFE’S WORK IS THEIR INDUSTRIAL WASTE.” -JIM KOCH, BOSTON BEER COMPANY•70% OF AB DISTRIBUTORS ONLY DISTRIBUTE AB.•85% OF BEER SOLD IN AMERICA IS LIGHT LAGER.•“IT’S AS IF ALL WE KNEW ABOUT FOOD CAME FROM McDONALD’S.” -JIM KOCH, BOSTON BEER COMPANY
“THEIR WEAPON IS ADVERTISING & OUR WEAPON IS WHAT’S IN THE BOTTLE.” -SAM CALAGIONE, FOUNDER DOGFISH HEAD•BIG 3 SPEND MORE THAN $1.5 BILLION/YEAR ONADVERTISING.
BILLBOARD EFFECT•THE BIG 3 SELL THEIR PRODUCTS IN VARIOUS PACKAGESTO CREATE A “BILLBOARD EFFECT.”•“THEIR GOAL: MAXIMIZING SHAREHOLDER REVENUE.OUR GOAL: MAXIMIZING TASTE FOR OUR CUSTOMER.” -SAM CALAGIONE, DOGFISH HEAD
CATEGORY KILLER•A BRAND CREATED TO DESTROY THE COMPETITION.•“EVERYTHING THAT THEY DO REAKS OF IDENTITYTHEFT.” -SAM CALAGIONE, DOGFISH HEAD