STRATEGIC ANALYSIS OF FOUR SUSTAINABLE ACTIVITIES.
23 Introduction3 The MSDS method and the strategic analysis5 The design briefs18 The strategic analysis development19 The results21 Next steps
31. INTRODUCTIONThis report describe the strategic analysis carried out by the Politecnico di Milano team within the TANGO(AH-DEsign)EU project.The scope is to design innovative and sustainable product service systems to be implemented in differentdistricts of Milan within the Punto e Linea project to improve social inclusion and intergenerational dialoguewith a low environmental impact.The strategic analysis has been carried out by Elisa Bacchetti, Alberto Fossati, Claudio Sarcì tutored by CarloVezzoli.The outcomes of this strategic analysis are used by the student of the course System Design forSustainability (Politecnico of Milano, School of design) that will develop eco-efficient product-servicesystems to improve the social cohesion and intergenerational dialogue in four districts of Milan where thePunto e Linea project has activated 4 project (HUB) of social cohesion. The most promising concepts will befurther developed (in higher details) and then transformed in the contents of the travelling exhibition to bepresented in Nantes (March 2013), in Milan (April 2013 during the Salone del Mobile) and in Helsinki (May-June 2013).2. THE MSDS METHOD AND THE STRATEGIC ANALYSISThe strategic analysis, presented in the following pages, is one of the four stages of the Method for SystemDesign Sustainability (MSDS) elaborated within the LeNS EU funded project in particular by the researchunit Design and Innovation for Sustainability (DIS) of Politecnico di Milano (project coordinator). Themethod is used to support the process product-service system design and to orient it toward sustainablesolutions. Thought modular it is structured in the following different stages:-strategic analysis;-exploring opportunities;-designing system concepts;-designing (and engineering) a system;- communication.Every stage and the entire method are flexible in order to be adapted to the specific needs of thedesigners/companies and to different context’s conditions. The method is particularly flexible about:procedural stages, tools to use, dimensions of sustainability (environmental, socio-ethical and economic),and about the possibility to integrate other tools and activities.
4The strategic analysis being described is a part of the process, with the aim to obtain information necessaryto facilitate the sustainable ideas’ generation through different steps, tools and activities.This document describe the specific strategic analysis, carried out by the Politecnico di Milano team todesign innovative and sustainable systems favouring intergenerational dialogue in the context of Milan, inpartnership with the Punto e Linea project already active in the Milanese area with similar aims, i.e. topromote and improve social cohesion into four districts of the city. The Punto e Linea project is designedand realized by Consorzio Sistema Imprese Sociali (SiS) and it is funded by Fondazione Cariplo.To study the Punto e Linea project and context, have been followed all the analysis steps here reported:-analysis the context of intervention and analysing the project proposers;-analyse the context of reference;-analyse the carrying structure of the system;-analyse case of excellence;-sustainability analisys and priorities definition.
5Here below a scheme that synthesise the activities (process and sub-process), the tools used and theachieved results;STRATEGIC ANALYSISACTIVITIES SUB ACTIVITIES RESULTS TOOLSA. Analysis ofthe promoters ofthe project andthe definition ofthe intervention- Define the scope ofproject intervention- Specific document aboutthe project briefPowerPoint brief text- Analysis of thecharacteristics ofthe promoters ofthe project- Summary document with analysis ofthe promoters of the project- mission- role- weakness & strenght- Word text- Video interview toPunto & Linea proposerB. Analysis ofthe referencecontext- Analysis of thecharacteristics ofthe referencecontext- Summary document with anintroduction to the 4districts andwhere the hubs are- District map (pdf)- Introduction videoabout districts- Demographic districtdata (pdf)- Analysis of theproduction offersystem (backoffice)/ existingenterprise- Summary document with a descriptionof the initiative / existing enterprise:- description of how the systemcurrently works- incubation process anddevelopment- weakness, problems and possibleimprovements- Video interview toproducers / promoters/ hubbers- Satisfaction offeringdiagram (PPT)- System map (PPT)- Analysis of finaldemand (users -front office) /existing enterprise- Summary analysis document of theend user needs:- mapping of the types of users andtheir expressed and hidden needsVideo interviews toend user- Analysis of relevantstakeholders- Summary document with analysis ofthe major stakeholders in the initiativeSystem map (PPT)C. Sustainabilityanalysis andprioritization ofprojectintervention- Analysis of existinginitiative in terms ofenvironmental,economic and socialethic sustainability- Summary document with analysis ofeconomic, social and environmentalimpact of the existing offer:- economic, environmental and socialethic problems and critical issues- SDO toolkit (criteriaand checklist for thequalitative report ofsustainability)- Qualitative report ofsustainability- Defining prioritiesfor action planning- Definition for each sustainabilitydimension, the priorities for actionplanning- SDO toolkit (criteriaand priorities)D. Best practicesanalysis- Identification ofbest practicies- Summary document of best practiciesanalysis :- composition of the offer andinteraction with the user- stakeholders that produce anddeliver the offer- sustainabilty topic- Best practicies analysisreport (word text)
63. THE DESIGN BRIEFSThe strategic analysis has been carried out in relation to 4 briefs related to 4 different Punto e Linea Hubs1located in different district of Milan.The brief for the HUB BAGGIO is the following:“Self-managed Web Radio”Design a Product-Service System to transform the Web Radio which has been activated within the Punto eLinea project into a self-financing service with a low environmental impact that focuses on promoting socialcohesion and dialogue between generations. WebRadio was created by the youngsters of the area and itsalready well-functioning and well-known in the area.It is also invited to the events as a reporter to broadcast the novelties and provides opportunities for people of the district to have a program on the radiochannel.The HUB BAGGIO EXISTING OFFER is the following:The Web radio is located in the Olmi area, within the Baggio district of Milan. It is a place to record andlisten and to inform and share stories about the same district or other arguments available for all theresidents. Everyone is invited to participate proposing new programs, giving feedbacks and ideas or takingpart at the many different events. The Web radio offers different activities and approaches:- courses to learn how to use the equipments and the free software used in the radio;- school paths to learn about the radio and to understand the importance of the information related todifferent topics;- use the radio place to record your personal sound tracks that can be uploaded in the website of the radio.The radio program’s topics are defined by the speakers in agreement with the proposers and they usuallycover different areas: district information, news from outside recorded by university students, or periodicinterviews to new bands or guests. The Web radio is also often an active part and promotes the local events:through the direct participation and with the web based streaming of the program. These events are a goodopportunity for the Web radio, now well known into the district, to reinforce his role in the city and toinvolve new speakers. The participants are globally twenty considering students and young people; morechallenging is to involve adults and elderly people1The hub represent the core of the project in each district
9The brief for the HUB BARONA Is the followingSustainable courses in the public school: design an innovative product-service system that uses the publicschool of via Lope de Vega to improve social cohesion and intergenerational dialogue betweentheinhabitants(and "visitors") of the building and the attached area. The public school is located in the centralcourt yard of the self-managed public housing in the center of the Barona district of Milan. The system of theproduct-service should be designed to self-sustain from the economic point of view even after the end of thePunto e Linea project in a "useful sociability"manner (self-production laboratories, repair,...) and with a lowimpact on the environment.EXISTING OFFER OF THE HUB BARONA:The Barona district is located in the south suburbs of Milan. It is a popular district with huge residentialbuildings. One of these complexes is the Lope de Vega house that is the focus of the intervention of thePunto e Linea project in the district, to improve the social cohesion between the residents and to revaluatethe place. The intervention proposes four courses with different topics to involve the inhabitants in creativeand useful activities.Video: the aim of this initiative is to communicate the district (or other topics) through the point of view ofthe people living there. Every recording phase is done with the participant’s phones except for the editingthat is realized with the help of a professional and using a common computer;Cook: the aim of this course is to cook with everything giving people the possibility to save money and tolearn how to cook something unusual;Makeup: the aim of the course is to learn how to make up in a professional way improving personal andartistic skills of the participants;Knitting: the aim of the course is to give some practical help for knitting in order to create a concretecompetence to be spent in everyday life or as a possibility for a future work. All the courses will beorganized inside of the popular school of Lope de Vega that is an available room inside the building and it isnow unused. The idea of using the popular school is to help the people to open the space and to encouragethem in being and taking part. An important aspect of the interventions is the collaboration with othersocial initiatives already present in Lope de Vega. This integration can help to create more solid bases tointeract with the inhabitants and to promote a more complete path of social involvement.
12The brief for the HUB GIAMBELLINO is the following:“Sustainable Community garden” design a Product-Service System that allows the community garden in thecenter of the Hub district of Milan Giambellino to self-sustain from the economic point of view even afterthe end of the Punto e Linea project, becoming a driving force for improvements in social cohesion andintergenerational dialogue for the neighborhood and helping in reduction environmental impact. The centerof the Giambellino Hub is a small house, situated in a public park within the neighborhood. Currently manyinitiatives and events are being carried out. One of the activities is in fact linked to a community garden,created around the cottage, which is taken care of once a week, by a group of people of different ages andbackgrounds (passers by are free to participate in the care of the community garden)The HUB GIAMBELLINO EXISTING OFFER:Within the Giambellino district there’s a multifunctional space called “Casetta Verde” where a group ofpeople manage and realize several activities open and dedicated to the habitants of the neighbourhood –elderly, children, families, disabled, teenagers. Primary objective of this place is to be an open, cozy locationwhere to talk about the district’s issues and where to work together to promote the local context to be ableto act onto the shared priorities with concrete actions that would improve the quality of life of the territory;one of the proposal, which is also one of the most active, is the community garden lab, it has a sharedhabitants participation in an gardening action.This activity has been proposed by a resident of the neighbourhood. With the consent of the differentpromoters and associations in the area and the support of the “Punto e Linea” project, this activity is on andworking since one year every Saturday morning, and at the end of each of this Saturdays the people don’tmiss the opportunity to socialize, having a big lunch together with the products of the garden. The lab isaimed to the active use and participation of the space, people design and plan together the activities to bedone. The entrance is open to anyone and till nowadays there’s the stable participation of 15 persons, of allgender and ages, from children to seniors.
15The brief for the HUB GRATOSOGLIO is the following:design the “summer camp” as a Product-Service System that optimizes the management and organizationin a perspective of social inclusion and intergenerational dialogue. Hub Gratosoglio has been hosting sportsfor the summer camps for a couple of years that last a few weeks, however there have been problems inmanagement and organization.The HUB GRATOSOGLIO EXISTING OFFER:One of the main goal of the summer camp, beyond to make the people join the sports together, is also togive a shake and to try to build a network among all the sport associations of the community center “centroPuecher”, to give a common field to allows all these associations to speak and communicate in the samelanguage and to create a concrete collaboration network.Due to several problems last year the summer camp has been moved outside the “centro Puecher” and ithas been made into the “Carraro” sport center, with the private associations already present within thisfacility.This year the summer camp will be a little bit different, keeping the original idea of the promotion of thesport as prevention and an help for the social aggregation and to try to create a belonging sense betweenthe associations and the local people; there’s also the choice to perform the activities outdoor to involvedirectly the users.The sports camp will last one month: from the 14thof June to the 14thof July and the 15thof July will takeplace the final event. It will be three times a week, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and each day for 3hours, from 4 to 7pm.Concretely the offer will be to provide to children a guide, a street’s educator, and a coach for free, to teachthem the basic rules of three sports (football, basketball and volleyball), try to establish new friendshipsamong different ethnic and status arrays and create challenging groups for the final tournament.The summer camp will take place mainly in the parks of the area but it’ll be used also the parishes asstructure open to a new collaboration and taking advantage of the fact that they are very active and knownin Gratosoglio.Last year they had roughly 350/400 attendees out of 2000 fliers and contacts. The core main age target isaround 14 to 16 years old guys.As it’s anyway important the support of the sport associations, this year they’ll try to involve someassociations even the not-sporty ones, because it would be possible even to create some side supportactivities to the camp.
184. THE STRATEGIC ANALYSIS DEVELOPMENTThe strategic analysis has been developed by the Politecnico team during February – March 2012. Theproposers of the Hubs have been involved in the process to achieve information and to help to create a firstinteraction with the context.Followed steps for the strategic analysis of the Punto e Linea Project.1.Organization of two meetings with the Hubbers (the responsible of the hubs).The two meeting has been useful to achieve information about the context, the Hub role in the district andabout the specific offers to be developed in the four briefs. It has been also useful to have a first contactwith the district and having some advice about the life in the district and the perception of the people whoare living and working there. Moreover the meetings gave the occasion to plan future interviews with theproposers (if different from the Hubbers) and with the participants.2. Customized path for each hub to go deeper in each brief initiative.- Hub BaggioThe Politecnico team participated the 18thof March to the radio program “Una baggio che funziona”managed by some university students. In that occasion has been possible to interview the speakers seeing adifferent point of view.- Hub BaronaThe Politecnico team participated the 25thof March at the Spring Festival in Lope de Vega to see theopening of the courses, and meeting the inhabitants. In that occasion has been possible to see the firstreaction of the inhabitants to the Punto e Linea project.- Hub GiambellinoThe Politecnico team participated the 17thof March to the gardening activity of the Casetta Verde. In thatoccasion has been possible to interview the proposers of the initiative and also some participants of theCasetta Verde activities.- Hub GratosoglioThe Politecnico team the 13thof March has had the possibility to interview the trainers of two sportassociations that have done the summer camp last year and that are going to repeat the experiment in June2012.All the produced documents have been recorded, to be used by the students of the course System Designfor Sustainability. At the same time of the interviews have been taken some videos of the four contexts toinvestigate them about architectural and landscape aspect but also about the distribution of services andfacilities.To record all the materials produced have been used the equipments provided by the Movie Lab of thePolitecnico di Milano.
195. THE RESULTSAll the results gathered from the first strategic analysis part of work, have been collected, processed anddivided into documents of various format, i.e. audiovideo, pdf and ppt. Then they have been publishedonline both to enable their streaming view both to be free to download. They have been uploaded on web-based sharing platforms: youtube.com, slideshare.net and mydrive.ch.We made a collection of several files per hub to give a global view on them divided by sections. Some .Pptfiles to describe the brief, the system map, showing the relationships between the different stakeholdersand actors involved into the work-flow, and the offering diagram, which highlights the main offer inrelationship with the other sub-side-offers of the service. In addition, some videos have been shoot andpost produced to describe the context, the proposer and the existing offer (and in particular the backstageand the front desk) with interviews and clips of the territory. Finally, we collected some information fromthe site of the town of Milan, which allowed us to establish, again for each hub, demographic data districtand the district map.BARONA HUB Sustainable courses in the public schoolVideos:THE CONTEXTBarona DistrictTHE PROPOSERSPunto e linea ProjectTHE EXISTING OFFERManual ActivitiesPower point files:THE BRIEF:Barona HUB Manual ActivitiesTHE EXISTING OFFER:. System map. Offering diagramPdf files:THE CONTEXT the Barona district. demographic district data. district mapTHE EXISTING OFFER. Qualitative sustainability report
20GIAMBELLINO HUB Community GardenVideos:THE CONTEXTGiambellino DistrictTHE PROPOSERS.Punto e linea ProjectTHE EXISTING OFFER.Community GardenCOMMUNITY GARDEN BACK OFFICEPower point files:THE BRIEF:Giambellino HUB Community GardenTHE EXISTING OFFER:. System map. Offering diagramPdf files:THE CONTEXTthe Giambellino district. demographic district data. district mapTHE EXISTING OFFER. Qualitative sustainability reportGRATOSOGLIO HUB Sustainable Summer CampVideos:THE CONTEXT.Gratosoglio DistrictTHE PROPOSERS.Punto e linea ProjectTHE EXISTING OFFER.Summer CampSUMMER CAMP BACK OFFICESUSTAINABILITY CONSIDERATIONSPowerpoint files:THE BRIEF:
21Gratosoglio HUBSummer CampTHE EXISTING OFFER. System map. Offering diagramPdf files:THE CONTEXTthe Gratosoglio district. demographic district data. district mapTHE EXISTING OFFER. Qualitative sustainability reportBAGGIO HUB Web RadioVideos:THE CONTEXT.Baggio DistrictTHE PROPOSERS.Punto e linea ProjectTHE EXISTING OFFER.Web RadioWEB RADIO BACK OFFICEPowerpoint files:THE BRIEF:Baggio HUBWeb RadioTHE EXISTING OFFER. System map. Offering diagramPdf files:THE CONTEXT the Baggio district. demographic district data. district mapTHE EXISTING OFFER. Qualitative sustainability report
226. NEXT STEPSBased on the strategic analysis, all the students of the System Design for Sustainability course started onTuesday 15thof May a design working section that, , divided in twelve groups (three per hub), will developconcepts of Product-Service Systems for the “Punto e Linea” 4 HUB projects. The course is going to finishthe 26th of June and for that date all the students’ groups will present their concepts in the animatic videoform, in which will be explained the several aspect of the working Product-Service System with particularattention about the sustainability innovation characteristics.After that the four students that carried out the strategic analysis (who are actually developing their thesisabout this topic) will take the most promising concepts carried out from the course, one per each districthub, and they will deepen and develop further all the aspect of these four concept to make them innovativebut feasible for implementation.At the final part of this shared and broad path our work will be part as the content of a travelling exhibitionthat will pass through Nantes, in France in March 2013; then Milan, in April 2013 and finally in Helsinki, inFinland in May/June 2013.The three university of Milan (Politecnico di Milano), Helsinki (Aalto University) and Nantes (Ecole de DesignNantes Atlantique) are collaborating to develop this exhibition about the social cohesion and theintergenerational dialogue, and the way this topic is faced in various realities. Together, with a consistentteam of people working and sharing the competencies on it, they are designing both the contents and thestructure/layout of the exhibition.