Diversity Sourcing Lab
Aga Deszczka, Kraków, 20/11/2017
● What is diversity sourcing?
● Why diversity is important?
● Why diversity means different things depending on
organisation and country (women vs. minorities vs.
veterans vs. foreigners)?
● Best practices in sourcing diverse talents
● Best practices for engaging candidates
Linkedin & Google X-ray
● Searching by female Names, Hobbies, female associations, conferences, organisations (e.g. Girls
Geek Carrots), girls school (applicable to the UK and US).
● Scraping female LinkedIn groups (e.g. WIT or Amazon Women in Engineering)
● Gender dependent names for jobs (e.g. in Polish: "programistka" for a female programmer. Similar
in German, Romanian, French and Spanish)
● Female keyword search in LinkedIn (e.g. in recommendations)
● Creating Google Custom Search for sourcing with names specific for the country:
● Chrome plugin to search Facebook e.g. by gender: Intelligence Search
● By using this tool you can also scrap women FB groups e.g. WIT or search for a female in tech
specific groups e.g. Data Science PL
● https://stalkface.com/ for finding hidden groups on candidates’ profiles
● People usually like or follow users similar to them, or those who they are inspiring to be
● Tracking down a diverse talent on Github https://github.com/mthuret?tab=followers
● The same for Twitter. Checking likes, following and followers
● Quite laborious, but worthwhile process!
Best practices for engaging diverse talents
● Big organisation vs. start-up
● Blind interviews?
● Managing Unconscious Bias
● Diversity training
● Diversity and Inclusion Reports (Google, FB, Apple, Pinterest)
● Events, meetups
Let’s keep in touch!