Gallimore Gallimore’s Beginning
• Born in the UK, but raised in New Zealand.
• A very ‘middle class’ - but super supportive – upbringing.
• Yet, Derek had a burning desire to build, grow, and conquer life
–he was never just going to be a passenger.
• At 18, moved from New Zealand, to the Big Smoke of Sydney,
• After two and a half years there, he left Sydney to travel around South
America. Then continued on to London.
• Arriving in London at 21, Derek felt as if he had wasted enough time.
• He wasn’t yet ‘successful’ (whatever that meant), and time was
Derek Tastes Success
• Once in London, he saw a window of opportunity, in property – and went for it
• The property market was red hot, but rental yields were so high (10%), and bank
interest rates were so low (3%). Derek had no money, but he was determined.
• Within 6 months he had saved most the deposit and managed to secure a near
impossible mortgage from a lender.
• Derek has only been in the country six months, had no credit rating, little money,
was only 24 years old, and was working in a temporary contract role. The odds of
any mortgage approval was stacked well against him, but he got the deal done.
• Six months after the first property, he bought another. Then nine months later,
• Derek Gallimore continued to buy and develop over a dozen more over the
coming few years.
Derek Gallimore in Australian Property Investor
Global Financial Crisis
• That big property wave later collapsed - in 2008.
• The year of the world’s biggest financial crisis. The ensuing recession
eclipsed the infamous Great Depression of the 1920s.
• It basically shut down the entire baking system.
• Derek was lucky. Derek was safe. Derek lost none of his properties
and his portfolio was secure.
• But since the entire banking sector imploded – property
development wasn’t an option.
• On looking for businesses, serviced apartments presented itself as
that perfect opportunity.
• It had god synergies with Derek’s existing property experience - so he
tested it and launched.
• He began serviced apartments in London when it was a little-known
sector. This was prior to Airbnb, and prior to the general awareness
of short-term renting of apartments.
• This new venture was launched on 6 April, 2009, and unbeknownst to
him then, he spent the next nine years pouring his heart and soul into
• The company was an incredible success.
• In under nine years, he (with the help of an incredible team) built a
company that peaked at nearly $20m annual revenues, 70 staff, and
• It was built with very little external funding, and using old-fashioned
lean start-up fundamentals.
Derek Gallimore - Collapse
• But then the company failed.
• The company, in 2016, collapsed. It completely broke Derek
• The last year was spent trying to salvage it. He sold all his assets,
liquidated everything, and injected it all into the company in what
became a fruitless attempt.
• The collapse meant that there were creditors, and unhappy clients
stakeholders. It was a bloody mess. No one harder hit than Derek.
• It had an incredible ride. But at by 2016, at nearly 40 years of age –
Derek had lost it all.
• Derek Gallimore still had that fire in his belly
• The collapse took a massive toll, but within days, he was done with
licking wounds and started to rebuild. I simply had to.
• Within weeks he had incubated a series of ideas, and was back on
track for launching new ventures.
• Derek has been in business for over 20 years. He’s lived a diverse business and
personal life from which he draws great collective wisdom.
• Business is a fascinating art for him. A multidimensional, life-long game of chess.
• Warren buffet famously said that "it takes 20 years to build a reputation and five
minutes to ruin it." Similarly, Derek spent 20 years meticulously building business
acumen, commercial experience and financial assets - and then lost all in a few
• However, he’s learned an immense amount throughout his 20 years of business.
• It’s said that “you either ‘win’, or you ‘learn”’. I.e. you bank your wins, and you
learn from your losses.
• Though Derek is commercially astute, and has a strong command of all aspects of
Manila - Outsourcing
• One of his most game-changing moments in business was when he
started outsourcing – 2011.
• A 24/7 customer service operation for London
company. Unaffordable in London, so looked further afield.
• Manila, Philippines is known as the outsourcing capital of the world.
• Within months, Derek had set up a 24/7 operation, and his serviced
apartment company was then one of the only ones in the sector that
offered such a service.
• Experience with Manila opened his eyes to the broader opportunity
• So excited by the prospects, that within three years of setting the
Manila office, he moved to Manila so I could be closer to explore the
• Derek is supremely passionate about the opportunities of
• So much so that he has since launched, Outsource Accelerator.
• Outsource Accelerator is fast becoming one of the world’s foremost
independent authorities on outsourcing in the Philippines.
• It offers independent unbiassed information, education and advisory
for people that are interested in outsourcing.
• The website offers a huge amount of content, 95% of which is
• Outsource Accelerator offers podcasts, blogs, guides and editorials,
and has a news hub, and a comprehensive outsourcing service
provider directory, with over 500 BPO listings.
Culmination of skills
• It’s through 20 years business experience, extensive travel, and
intimate first-hand knowledge of the outsourcing sector that best
enable Derek to help people, begin their outsourcing journey.
• Strongly believes that everyone in business should consider
• It’s a game-changing opportunity.
• Outsourcing is like steroids for business - can be plugged into virtually
any business model, and can have profound cost saving and
Articles and books of Derek
Articles, books and media
TV news shows featuring Derek Gallimore
Derek Gallimore features on Sky News - Your Property Empire
Derek Gallimore featured on TV on Switzer news show
Books and author - Derek Gallimore
Derek Gallimore - Inside Outsourcing - Amazon
Inside Outsourcing - Rise of the Virtual Workforce and the End of Employment Traditions As We Know It. Ebook
available on Amazon
Derek Gallimore Amazon author profile
Derek Gallimore featured in Founders and under the Underdog book
Launched on Publishizer
Book author’s home page
http://greatnomad.com/ -Founder and Underdog book
Articles about Derek Gallimore
Australian Property Investor Magazine - Young Millionaires article
The Guardian - International success on a shoestring
Santander article - Growth brings new lease life
Big Hospitality - Multi million investment for serviced apartment expansion
Derek Gallimore appearing in Management Today - A Day in the life...
Santander outreach article - Derek Gallimore London
Great Nomad - Derek Gallimore interview
Sun and Co interview with Derek Gallimore - Digital Nomads
Podcasts and external media
Derek Gallimore podcasts
Outsource Accelerator Podcast - Exploring Business and Outsourcing Mastery
External media outlets
Derek Gallimore on Quora
Quora profile of Derek
Popular Quora answers from Derek
Popular questions on Manila - how dire is it in Manila?
On outsourcing work - what type of work will you consider to outsource?
On AI and human computer interface - what is a skilled function that an uneducated illiterate human can do that a
computer can’t do using a computer interface
On Outsourcing - What is the process of outsourcing an idea?
Derek Gallimore - Medium
Derek Gallimore Medium profile
Popular Medium article
Derek and Outsource Accelerator channel
AMA Derek Gallimore - Ask Me Anything
Derek Gallimore profile
Companies and sites
Derek Gallimore companies and sites
Keeping Good Company
Phone-based company, companionship and personal development for the isolated elderly
Keeping Good Company website profile of Derek
Keeping Good Company website author page - Derek Gallimore
Independent unbiased information and education for the outsourcing sector
Outsource Accelerator website profile of Derek
Outsource Accelerator website author page - Derek Gallimore
Subscription luxury watches
Chronohaus website profile of Derek
Chronohaus website author page of Derek
Derek Gallimore’s own website
An introduction to Derek
Derek Gallimore Property development - London
Connaught website profile of Derek
Social Media of Derek Gallimore
Social media connections
Derek Gallimore Facebook
Chronohaus Facebook page
Keeping Good Company Facebook page
Outsource Accelerator Facebook page
Derek Gallimore Linked In page
Outsource Accelerator Linked In page
Other social media
Angel List profile
Derek Gallimore Google Plus