Keeping Programs Strong
& Placing Students First
(while meeting budget realities)
Intent of the information session
• What has not changed
• What has changed
• What we are doing to support you
• Next steps
What has not changed
• A high quality education program
• Program exceeds requirements for teacher
• No changes to field experiences
• No credit lost for courses already taken
• No programs extended due to changes
What has changed
• Fewer required education courses
• Flexibility introduced through open options
• Course content reorganized to reduce duplication
and increase integration
• Introductory Professional Term (IPT) reconfigured
beginning in Fall, 2014
What has changed (cont’d)
• Increased class size for some courses
(e.g., 32 students to 40 students).
• Increased percentage of courses taught by faculty
What we are doing to support you
• Undergraduate student advisors are creating
individualized program sheets for all students.
• Program information will be emailed to your
@ualberta account between Nov. 30 and Dec. 16,
• If there are any issues with winter registration
it will be noted on your program sheet with a
green comment bubble.
Individualized Program Sheet
Any advising notes regarding possible
registration changes will be noted in
this green comment bubble
• Please be patient.
• Look for the email with your individualized program
sheet between Nov. 30 and Dec. 16.
• Look for the green comment bubble.
• Use your new program sheet to guide your future
• If you have concerns after receiving your program
sheet, please see us in USS.