Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish Emerly Mae Marquez
History• It was in 1958 when the residents of Project 8, (then the last of the government’s housing project) decided to gather and have mass on Sundays. The first masses were held in a make-shift garage used for storing paints and materials for the construction of some houses in the zone.• The community, then under the Parish of San Pedro Bautista, was given the permission to have mass on Sundays. On September 1958, a typhoon hit the country and the garage worship place was destroyed. Sunday masses still continued in a neighbouring garage.• Fr. Bertrand F. Demers, OMI, then a frequent presider of the community’s Sunday masses, thought of building a small chapel in the Plaza. The chapel then was only about 6 meters long. Although under construction the first Christmas celebration was held there. Everybody from the community helped in their own little way in constructing and making the chapel beautiful.
• A Parish is Born : In March 21, 1966, Our Lady of Perpetual Help was canonically erected and Fr. Alfonso Caparas was installed as the first Parish Priest. An engineer by profession, he immediately improved the façade of the church. Likewise, through the years, additional improvements and buildings were constructed.
Vision and Mission“We envision ourselves as a community of renewed small caring communities, a living witness of being a Church of the Poor.”“We, the Parishioners under the care of Our Lady of Perpetual Help commit ourselves to: on-going formation, full and active participation in the Priestly, Prophetic, and Servant-Kingly mission of Christ, intensified building of Basic Ecclesial Communities, the promotion of timely and relevant activities and services and journeying together with the youth.”
Rev. Fr. Nelson C. Orqueta Present Parish Priest
The Most Reverend Honesto F. Ongtioco, D.D. First Bishop of Cubao
• The Ministry:• 1973-1974 – Spiritual Director, Professor, Mother of Good Counsel, San Fernando , Pampanga• 1974-1975 – Parochial Vicar, Holy Rosary Parish, Angeles City• 1975 – Acting Parish Priest, St. Catherine Parish, Porac, Pampanga• 1975 – Acting Director, St. Catherine Academy , Apalit, Pampanga• 1975-1977 – Parochial Vicar, St. Peter and Paul Parish, Apalit, Pampanga
• 1975-1979 – Director, Archdiocesan Vocation Commission• 1977-1983 – Rector, Professor, Mother of Good Counsel Seminary, San Fernando , Pampanga• 1977-1980 – Vice Chancellor/Procurator, University of the Assumption, San Fernando , Pampanga• 1977-1984 – Chaplain, University of the Assumption, San Fernando , Pampanga• 1981-1984 – Chancellor/Procurator, Mother of Good Counsel Seminary, San Fernando , Pampanga• 1985-1987 – Chaplain, University of the Assumption, San Fernando , Pampanga
• 1985-1987 – Chancellor/Procurator, Mother of Good Counsel Seminary, San Fernando , Pampanga• 1985-1987 – Spiritual Director/Procurator/Professor, Mother of Good Counsel Seminary, San Fernando , Pampanga• 1987-1992 – Parochial Vicar, St. Catherine Parish, USA• 1987-1991 – Summer Parish Work in Staten Island , New York , USA• 1990 – Assistant Chaplain of Filipino Migrant Workers, Rome• 1992-1997 – Vice Rector/Econome, Pontifico Collegio Filipino, Rome , Italy• March 21, 1992 – Invested as Honorary Prelate• April 25, 1997 – Rector, Pontifico Collegio Filipino, Rome , Italy• April 8, 1998 – Appointed Bishop of Balanga• June 18, 1998 – Consecrated Bishop at Cathedral of the Assumption, San Fernando , Pampanga