Binondo Church in Manila Binondo Church is also known as Minor Basilica of St. Lorenzo Ruiz is located in binnondo,manila. Founded by the Dominican priests in 1596, Binondo Church is one of the oldest places of Christian worship in the philippines. It was administered by the Secular Priests in 1768, returned to Dominican Administration in 1822 and back to Secular Priests in 1898. The maintenance is largely funded by the Catholic Chinese community, many of whom reside or operate businesses in neighboring Chinatown. Masses are held in Filipino, in Chinese dialects (Mandarin, Hokkien), and in English.
Binondo Church (built 1596onward) The original structure of the Binondo Church, formally known as Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Parish or The Minor Basilica and National Shrine of San Lorenzo Ruiz, was constructed in 1596. Founded by Dominican friars, it is one of the oldest places of Christian worship in the Philippines. One of its significant early architects was Domingo de la Cruz González. Although repeatedly damaged from earthquakes (1645, 1863, 1880), typhoons and war the often rebuilt Binondo church still reflects its historic Spanish and European Baroque style and retains many elements of its original character. The octagonal bell tower, however, is the only significant remaining part of the original structure
Heavily damaged during the Second World War, the Binondo church was reconstructed in three phases and completed in 1984. A new three-story parish center and convent was added at the back of the church.. The most striking feature of the rebuilt interior is the more marble and gilded reredos depicting the façade of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome.
The Spanish had barred Chinese from living within the walled city of the Intramuros, so they set roots north of the Pasig River. There the Filipino-Chinese Christians built their church on what is now Quitin Paredes Street at Plaza Calderon dela Barca. The numerous Chinese Christians in the community still provide much of the support for its maintenance. The neighborhood around the church remains Manila’s Chinatown with numerous “Old World” style Chinese stores, restaurants and banks—amidst the modernity of coffee and gift shops. A number of the buildings in the neighborhood managed to survive the extensive bombing of the Second World War.
Patron Saint Also known as the Minor Basilica of San Lorenzo Ruiz, Binondo church was named after the sacristan, San Lorenzo Ruiz, who was born of a Chinese father and a Filipino mother. He was trained in this church then went to Japan as a missionary, where he was executed for refusing to renounce his religion. He was canonized in 1989. A large statue of the martyr stands in front of the church, being the first Filipino saint.
Pope John Paul II beatified him on February 18, 1981, in the first beatification to occur outside of the Vatican. Lorenzo Ruiz was canonized on October 18, 1987, and was the first Filipino saint.