Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Visita Iglesia

702 views

Published on

Church and Sacraments
TTh 10:30-12:00
Professor Edgardo Aquilon

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Visita Iglesia

  1. 1. Alipio, Jean Gabrielle Castro, Jillienne Domingo, Dennimar Faner, Rica Mae Hernandez, Jillian Ayn Querimit, Coleen Janine Reverente, Josianne Kaye Santiago, Camille Apple Suba, Risaflor V I S I T A I G L E S I A Church and Sacraments TTh 10:30-12:00 Professor Edgardo Aquilon
  2. 2. Sta. Cruz Church PICTURES
  3. 3. CHARACTERISTICS  Common Name: Sta. Cruz Church  True Title: Santa Cruz Church  Location: Santa Cruz, Manila City, Metro Manila  Feast day: 3rd Sunday of October  Parish Priest: Rev. Fr. Felix Elverio, SSS SHORT HISTORICAL BACKGROUND As to its origins, it was constructed and overseen by the Jesuits until 1768 when the Jesuits were expelled from the archipelago. Dominicans then took over the administration of the church. Adjacent to the church was the Jesuit College of San Ildefonso. It was founded on January 9, 1724 by Alfonso Fajardo dela Tenza. The Nuestra Señora del Pilar (Our Lady of the Pillar) is the patroness of the church. The confraternity named after the patroness was founded canonically on 1743. During the liberation of Manila in 1945, the church was heavily damaged.
  4. 4. Quiapo Church PICTURES
  5. 5. CHARACTERISTICS  Common Name: Quiapo Church  True Title: Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene  Location: Quiapo, Manila, Philippines  Feast day: January 9th  Parish Priest: Jose Clemente F. Ignacio SHORT HISTORICAL BACKGROUND On 29 August 1586, Governor-General Santiago de Vera founded the District of Quiapo as a suburb of Spanish Manila. The Franciscan Missionaries built the first church on the site, using bamboo for the frame and nipa palm as thatching. Saint Pedro Bautista, a Franciscan missionary and martyr, was one of the founders of the Quiapo Church and several other churches in what is now Metro Manila and Laguna. The original church burned down in 1639 and was replaced by a stronger edifice, which was partially destroyed by an earthquake in 1863. Under the supervision of Rev. Eusebio de León and Rev. Manuel Roxas, the third church was completed in 1899. Roxas had raised the unprecedented amount of ₱40,000.00 from donations and lay contributions. On 30 October 1928, the church again caught fire and was almost completely destroyed. Doña Encarnación Nakpíl de Orense, then the head of the Parish Committee, raised funds for the reconstruction. Filipino National Artist, architect Juan Nakpil (the son of composer Julio Nakpil) added the dome and a second belfry to the edifice.
  6. 6. St. Vincent De Paul Parish PICTURES
  7. 7. CHARACTERISTICS  Common Name: St. Vincent de Paul Church  True Title: Church of San Vicente de Paul  Location: 959 San Marcelino Street Ermita, Metro Manila  Feast day: September 27  Parish Priest: Rev. Fr. Jojo M. Rendon, CM SHORT HISTORICAL BACKGROUND The Church of San Vicente de Paul was originally built as a chapel in 1883 and used as parish church of Paco from 1898 to 1909. The concrete parish church was built in 1912 to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the arrival of the Vicentians and Sisters of Charity in the Philippines.
  8. 8. Ermita Church PICTURES
  9. 9. CHARACTERISTICS  Common Name: Ermita Church  True Title: Nuestra Señora de Guia Parish (Our Lady of Guidance)  Location: A Flores St, Maynila  Feast day: May 19  Parish Priest: Fr. Sanny de Claro SHORT HISTORICAL BACKGROUND On 19 May 1571, a Saturday, Miguel Lopez de Legazpi took possesion of Manila in honor of the King of Spain, Felipe II. On this occasion, one of his soldiers roamed and reached as far as the seashore in what is now the site of Ermita Church. There he witnessed the natives’ pagan worship to a beautiful statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary placed on top of a trunk surrounded by pandan leaves.
  10. 10. It was believed that the image must have been brought to the Philippines in 1521 by Magellan’s own ships and was later sent by Cebu chieftains as a gift to one of the many rajahs in Manila. In a Royal Decree dated 9 August 1578, the King of Spain declared Nuestra Señora de Guia as the “Sworn Patroness” of Manila by reason of the continual favors that the Blessed Virgin lavished on the city. University of Sto Thomas Church PICTURES
  11. 11. CHARACTERISTICS  Common Name: UST Church  True Title: Santísimo Rosario Parish
  12. 12.  Location: UST, España, Manila City, Metro Manila  Feast day: 1st Sunday of October  Parish Priest: Fr. Franklin Beltran, OP SHORT HISTORICAL BACKGROUND When the Santísimo Rosario Parish was canonically inaugurated by Archbishop of Manila Michael O' Doherty on April 26, 1942. During the Japanese Occupation of Manila, the Chapel of the University of Santo Tomas was designated as a Parish Church and has remained such to this day. However, on campus, it is still identified as the UST Chapel and serves as a spiritual haven for the Thomasian community. It is also the venue for Eucharistic Celebrations, recollections and other religious activities. On September 28, 1942, after the Sto. Domingo Church in Intramuros had been damaged during the initial bombing raids of World War II, the image of Our Lady of La Naval was transferred, for reasons of safety, to the UST Chapel, and was enshrined there until October 10, 1954. The image was again transferred in a solemn procession to the newly-erected Convent of Santo Domingo in Quezon City. In commemoration of the 50th year of the said transfer, the image of Our Lady of La Naval returned to the University on October 1, 1992. After the nine-day novena, Our Lady was brought back in a solemn procession to her shrine in Santo Domingo Church. Malate Church PICTURES
  13. 13. CHARACTERISTICS  Common Name: Malate Church
  14. 14.  True Title: Our Lady of Remedies Parish ( Malate Catholic Church )  Location: Malate, Manila  Feast day: 3rd Sunday of November  Parish Priest: Fr. John Leydon, MSSC SHORT HISTORICAL BACKGROUND The Malate Church is a Baroque-style church which faces a small park and beyond that Manila Bay. The church was built originally on this spot in the sixteenth century by the Augustinians, and is one of the oldest churches in Manila outside of Intramuros. British soldiers took refuge in this church during their occupation of the Philippines and attack on Intramuros in 1762-63. The church was destroyed in 1773, rebuilt, badly damaged in World War II, and later restored again. Malate Church is dedicated to Nuestra Senora de Remedios ("Our Lady of Remedies"), the patroness of women in childbirth. A revered statue of the Virgin Mary in her role as Our Lady of Remedies was brought from Spain in 1624 and stands at the altar. Baclaran Church
  15. 15. PICTURES CHARACTERISTICS
  16. 16.  Common Name: Baclaran Church  True Title: National Shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help  Location: Baclaran, Parañaque City, Metro Manila  Feast day: June 27  Parish Priest: Fr. Victorino A. Cueto, CSsR SHORT HISTORICAL BACKGROUND On 1906, Redemptorists arrived in the country to introduce the Mother of Perpetual Help. The Redemptorists are one of the many Catholic congregations. The first Perpetual Novena was done in Iloilo in the Redemptorist Church in St. Clement in May 1946. The congregation started to explore the country. Father Gerard O’Donnel became the first Rector in Baclaran on 23 June 1948. Father Leo English conducted the first novena in the Baclaran Church. The church had a 300 person capacity yet only 70 people attended. Before the end of 1949, Wednesday became the official day of prayer for the Virgin of Perpetual Help, therefore also making it the novena day for the week. Slowly Filipinos began to flock to the church making it hard to accommodate more people, but with the help of Filipino communities’ donations and thanksgiving letters the church was renovated to help more people. At present, the church continues to accommodate thousands of devotees, though it is still uncertain why Filipino people choose to hear mass specifically at the Baclaran Church. Manila Cathedral
  17. 17. PICTURES CHARACTERISTICS
  18. 18.  Common Name: Manila Cathedral  True Title: National Shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help  Location: Cabildo corner Beaterio, Intramuros, Manila  Feast day: May 19  Parish Priest: Rev. Msgr. Nestor C. Cerbo SHORT HISTORICAL BACKGROUND The Church of Manila was established by the secular Juan de Vivero who had the honor of baptizing Rajah Matanda. Vivero first arrived in these shores in 1566 as chaplain of the nao or galleon of San Geronimo which had come to support the Spanish colonization of the newly discovered islands. He was given the special privilege and sole faculty by the Archbishop of Miexico to establish the spiritual administration of the new Philippine colony. Later, Vivero would become the first vicar-general and the first ecclesiastical judge of Manila . The Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception administered the religious affairs of Manila until such time it became a parish and Manila was created into a diocese. It was a simple structure of nipa and bamboo, materials which were readily available during that time. It had for its first parish priest the secular Juan de Villanueva. The other religious who became the pillars of this parish were Juan de Vivaneta and Nicolas Riccio. This church was also witness to the events that would threaten the city and its residents. On November 30, 1574 , the feast of St. Andrew the Apostle, the Spanish forces were able to quell Limahong’s invasion. Because of such fortunate turn of events, the holy apostle was made patron saint of Manila . The victory was celebrated with fireworks and a Mass with sermon was held in the Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception in Manila .
  19. 19. San Agustin Church PICTURES
  20. 20. CHARACTERISTICS  Common Name: San Agustin Church  True Title: Inglesia de San Pablo  Location: General Luna Street, Intramuros, Manila  Feast day: August 27  Parish Priest: Fr. Asis R. Bajao, OSA SHORT HISTORICAL BACKGROUND San Agustin Church originally known as "inglesia de San Pablo", founded in 1571 is the oldest stone church (built in 1589) in the Philippines. It is a administered by the Order of Saint Agustine (Augustinian Friars). Since the time of its foundation, the devotion to Nuestra Senora dela Consolacion y Cirrea is celebrated every Saturday.In this Church - tomb of "El Adelentado Miguel Lopez de Legaspi" Founder of the City of Manila is located in the eastermost chapel of the transept. Terms for the American occupation of Manila was signed in the sacristy and First Plenary Council of the Philippines in 1953 was held in the Choirloft.
  21. 21. Binondo Church PICTURES
  22. 22. CHARACTERISTICS  Common Name: Binondo Church  True Title: Minor Basilica of St. Lorenzo Ruiz  Location: Plaza L. Ruiz, Binondo 1006, Manila  Feast day: September 28  Parish Priest: Msgr. Geronimo F. Reyes SHORT HISTORICAL BACKGROUND Binondo Church, also known as Minor Basilica of St. Lorenzo Ruiz was erected in 1596. It is one of the oldest places of Christian worship in the Philippines, but over the centuries the original edifice has sustained considerable damage from earthquakes and other natural disasters. Today the octagonal bell tower is all that remains of the 16th century construction.
  23. 23. The church’s patroness is the image of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary but there is also an image of St. Lorenzo Ruiz on the left side of the altar to honor the first Filipino saint. FINANCIAL STATEMENT Transportation Expense Route No. of Person/s Amount expense each TOTAL expenses Saint Vincent De Paul Church - UST 2 8.00 16.00 UST- Ermita church 2 9.00 18.00 Ermita Church – Malate Church 2 8.00 16.00 Malate Church – Baclaran Church 2 9.00 18.00 Adamson University - San Agustin & Manila Cathedral 5 50.00 250.00 San Agustin & Manila Cathedral - Quiapo Church 5 8.00 8.00 Quiapo Church - Sta. Cruz Church 5 -- --
  24. 24. Sta. Cruz Church - Binondo Church 5 -- -- TOTAL TRANSPORTATION EXPENSE 326.00 Food Expense Chowking 158.00 Chuann Kee Grocery 276.00 Chuan Kee Restaurant 353.00 TOTAL FOOD EXPENSE 787.00 TOTAL EXPENSE: 1,113.00

×