DSD-NL 2018 Deltares en de wereld van (data) services - Schotmeijer
Deltares en de wereld van [data] services
The future of hydrological forecasting
We don’t know for sure, but… what we observe:
1. Increasing number of players
(also nonobvious ones)
2. Increasing demand for (online) hydrological forecasting and
3. Increasing demand for data
Which leads to questions:
1. Implications for Delft-FEWS
2. How to share Deltares data, forecasting models and
• New ways to share our knowledge with the outside world
• New ways for participation and contributions of others
(“the crowd”) in our knowledge development
1. Consequences Delft-FEWS
Delft-FEWS Roadmap: make Delft-FEWS cloud ready, improve web-
service, … (not the focus of this talk)
2. How to best share Deltares data, forecasting models and
Developing and experimenting with online data and information
services (focus of this presentation)
Delft-FEWS applications running in iD-Lab
Supporting team AkzoNobel
“Deltares have been instrumental in giving team
AkzoNobel, an in depth and independent view of the
currents and tidal models for the 2017-18 Volvo
Ocean Race. This has allowed the Navigator and on
shore weather team, to compare tidal patterns and
also interpret how currents interact with wave height
and sea conditions giving valuable strategic and
tactical analysis in many difficult offshore racing
Global models provide
• Good testbed for software innovation (large data volumes, big models)
• Good platform for collaborative research projects (EU, STW, NWO)
Global flood information can provide (added) value:
• To areas where no local/regional forecasts are available (DRR missions,
national governments, etc)
• For applications where a global coverage is beneficial (Global Flood
Partnership, reinsurance brokers, etc)
• To generate BC’s for local/regional models
No global government in charge of global flood management.
But ultimately: as a moonshot ambition!
Why do we do this?
• How to provide continuity to services developed in projects?
How to develop a sustainable business model for the continued maintenance and
development of these services, while also maintaining our “dare to share” principle?
• How to deal with service levels which go beyond what Deltares
• How to best provide added value to local and regional flood
services developed by others, instead of competing with them?
Some key challenges
• Biedt Deltares [data] services meerwaarde voor jullie of voor
• Hoe kunnen we jullie betrekken?
• Welk niveau van support is gewenst/acceptabel?
• Wat zijn voor jullie acceptabele betaalmodellen?
• Is Delft-FEWS voldoende uitgerust voor een toekomst waar
meerdere partijen hydrologische verwachtingen en informatie
services gaan leveren?
Betrokkenheid Delft-FEWS omgeving
Gert-Jan Schotmeijer (email@example.com)
Daniel Twigt (firstname.lastname@example.org)