The first step I took was to enhance my image by changing the lightingand altering the contrast in order to prevent the image looking onedimensional.I did this by going to „Enhance‟, „Adjust Lighting‟ and then to„Brightness/Contrast‟ and then played around with the scale to see whichlevel complimented the photo. I also had to bear in mind whether certaincoloured fonts clashed when choosing the brightness.
This is a question about the masthead font taken from questionnaire. Iinvolved this question within my questionnaire as it is a vital part of themagazine‟s front cover and I really wanted to choose a font that myaudience liked and hat also linked to my genre. 4 3 2 1 0As can be seen there was a tie in which font the respondents of myquestionnaire preferred. After receiving these results, I decided to go ina completely different direction by compromising and merging the twomost preferred sample fonts together and in doing so chose: “eLFoNt(urBAN CalligRAPhy!”
I carried out more research into mastheads on magazines as it‟s the most significant text of the magazine as it‟s the part that should stick in people‟s heads once they‟ve finished viewing the magazine. I found that most magazines and these can be seen in the examples on the left, that their mastheads are positioned in the top centre. Therefore, I gained inspiration from such magazines and followed My conventions by locating my masthead in the top centre also. However, one thing I noticed during myMasthead research was that some magazines, including all of the examples on the left have their masthead slightly covered by the models head. I decided not to follow this pattern since my front cover is only the 17th issue and therefore is not established enough, therefore if part of the magazine name was covered, the audience may not recognise it or be able to make it out. A closer look at my masthead can be seen to the left.
The next step in the process of making mymusic magazine was to add the writing.I did this by using the text tool to draw up asuitable sized textbox and then started addingthe words.Firstly, I did the masthead, then the date andissue number.I then did the the main coverline, experimentingwith different fonts and sizes which are suitablefor what the coverline is about. I chose a boldfont to grab the attention of the potential buyer.The final step in the majority of the text-addingwas my second coverline as it took me time todecide what should be there in order to interestthe audience.
The next item that I added to my front cover was the button.I did this by selecting the „Brush‟ tool and then going to the drop down boxof brushes present. I then clicked on the little „>‟ button on the right andselected the „Load Brushes‟ option. This then took me to the variousbrushes available to me from the school account. I then chose theparticular button as seen above, which I choose because of the circularshape to go with the typical form seen in magazines.After this, I added my the text on top.
Finally, I added a barcode to make the magazine look authentic.