1 2 3 4 1. South Haven Presbyterian Cemetery 2. Sineus Miller 3. Carman 4. Homan (removed) 7 5. David Hawkins 6. Nathaniel Hawkins 6 5 7. Barteau/Snow 8. Richard Corwin 9. Nathaniel Miller 10. Azel Hawkins21 11. Rose (removed) 12. Conklin 13. Ryder 8 14. Mott 15. Thomas Rose 22 16. King David Hulse 9 17. Greenfield 17 10 18. Rowland 16 12 11 19. Former Methodist Cemetery 20. Rev. Charles Kellogg 20 21. Oaklawn Cemetery 19 18 22. Ketcham (removed) 13 15 14
75 years later, same viewpoint as picture on left1939
During the winter of 1994, we began cleaning up the cemetery and lookingfor Priest Rose’s and other headstones. Failing to find Rose’s headstone, weasked Town Historian Dave Overton to order a new one.
Early in the Spring of 1994, Brookhaven Town Historian David Overton had the Parks Departmentinstall a split-rail fence around the cemetery and do a major cleanup. Priest Rose’s newheadstone would arrive later in the year.
Now Reverend David “Priest” Rose has two headstones
Esther Rose, Priest Rose’s daughter, Bershua Rose, Priest Rose’s wife, died in 1784, adied at the age of 18 in 1789. year after the American Revolution ended. The family had just returned from exile in Connecticut.
Because headstones were not readily available during the early colonial period,some of the earliest burials used common field stones to mark the grave sites.
Photo 1994 Photo 1980Justice Nathaniel Brewster, who was Brookhaven Town Supervisor circa 1760s, was one of the most influential men in BrookhavenTown during the middle part of the 18th century. His first marriage was to Gloryana “Tangier” Smith and his second marriageto Ruth “Bull” Smith, the two most prominent families in the Town. Justice Brewster was killed by one of his slaves.
It did not take long for the Town to forget its obligations. This ishow the Southaven Presbyterian Church Cemetery looked in 2006.
Joseph Conklin may have been the man who On Nov 5, 1813, the greatest tragedy in Fire Place’s historybuilt the mill at South Haven in 1740. occurred with the drowning of 11 men at Smith’s, or New Inlet, today’s Old Inlet. Nehemiah Hand was one of the victims.
Sam Carman, Sr., arrived during the Revolution in 1780 and appears to have been a Loyalist. He and hisdescendents ran the mill, Inn and general store for the next 100 years.
Samuel, Jr., was a Town trustee, circa 1828-1849, and the President of the Board in 1849. He was also a Trustee Overseerof the Poor and referred to as Capt. Sam Carman because he was a coastal inspector for several years. Samuel Carman, Jr.,and his wife Kathy had 12 children together.
Just a few feet north of the Carman cemetery is the Miller cemetery. It’s possible that there are other headstones in this plotthat we have not uncovered yet. Gilbert Miller, possibly a son, died in 1870, and the Miller estate was sold to the Suffolk Club.
John Deitz using the Global Positioning Systemto record the Miller cemetery location
(1939 description) "Former Homan private graveyard, about 500 feet south of Montauk Highway, (Route 27),on the east side of an old hedgerow, and about opposite the old homestead of William Osborn, now (1939)owned by Charles Engelhaupt, South Haven….” This cemetery was about 100’ easterly and opposite of the eastend of today’s Old South Country Road, directly south of telephone pole 122, in Wertheim Refuge. Theheadstones were moved sometime between 1902 and 1939 to the Oaklawn Cemetery, picture above, except forWilliam and Philothea Corwin, whose headstones were moved to the South Haven Presbyterian Cemetery. It issaid that the bodies were not disinterred.
Although only 14 headstones are stillvisible, 23 were visible in 1939. Most of theothers, if not all, are believed to still exist,but have fallen and become buried.Revolutionary War veterans Thomas Roseand Captain Nathan Rose are buried here.
Will Rose Home, built late 1700s Home of William Rose, born 1807. He sold the old Rose homestead and much property to J. L. Ireland in 1841. Brewster Rose family, 339 Beaver Dam Road Senator John Rose home
Thomas Rose, believed to be the first permanent white settler in Fire Place Neck, was perhaps buried here in 1729,probably using a field stone marker (headstones were not readily available in Brookhaven at the time). Ear mark for hiscattle at Fire Place was recorded on Oct 12, 1700. Two of first-settler Thomas Rose’s grandsons (above) fought in theAmerican Revolution. Its possible that Lieutenant Thomas Rose was killed in action, given the 1780 date of his death.
One source, Huson, lists Scudder Ketcham as aRevolutionary War veteran. However, on file atthe Town Historian’s Office is a note saying thatthe DAR has no record of Scudder Ketcham ashaving served.
This is the second Rose family cemetery site, begun in the early part ofthe 19th century, belonging to “Senator” John Rose and hisdescendants. James Post bought this property in the 1920s to donate forour library, and had the graves and headstones moved to Oaklawn.
Pictured are some of the headstones that were moved from the library gravesite toOaklawn Cemetery.
King David Hulse Cemetery is located on Fire Place Neck Road opposite the Brookhaven ElementarySchool. The name “King” David is said to come from the fact that David O. Hulse was known for constantlyquoting from the Old Testament.
Little is known about our most visible cemetery,the Hulse cemetery.From a 1735 petition to have Beaver Dam Roadbuilt, we know who the owners of the 12 LongLots were, including three members of theHulse family: Thomas, Richard and John Hulse.They may not have lived here but only used themeadow lots for their cattle. The NehemiahHulse family, including son David, may havebeen the first of the Hulses to live at The FirePlace.However, in this 1858 map, no house is shownon the property where the cemetery is located.David H. Hulse was the last to be buried here in1914. He is said to have lived in Bellport.
This is from George P. Morse’s circa 1945 scrapbook. It is the only reference to the Hulse familyhaving lived here at today’s 255 Beaver Dam Road. Nehemiah Hulse was David O. Hulse’s father.
Nathaniel Miller Cemetery, located off Fire Place Neck Road
Dr Miller’s medical chestIn 1849, Dr Miller was a member of the NewYork State Assembly.
The first of Dr Miller’s nine children was Nathaniel, born in 1815 at the BrookStore (Dr. Miller’s house was still being built). Nathaniel became a 49erduring the California gold rush and made a fortune operating a merchandisestore. During his time in California, he was shot with an arrow by Geronimo.He returned in 1853, married Ellen Carman, took over the operation of theMiller farm and became Town Supervisor during the Civil War. Of their ninechildren, only three would survive him, with Clinton and George continuing torun the farm until the mid-20th century.
Ellen and Nathaniel Miller, Jr., with their son, N. Clinton, circa1890
Pictured are Nathaniel Miller, Jr.’s, two sons, George and N. Clinton. George ran the farm for morethan 50 years while his brother Clinton, who had his own home on a section of the farm entered viatoday’s Library Lane, was the elected Town Receiver of Taxes, though for many years he listed hisoccupation as “none” – except once, when he said that he sold bait at Smith’s Point.
Richard Corwin cemetery, located between Chapel Ave. and Beaver Brook Drive
Richard Corwin was aRevolutionary War veteranwho was present at the battleof Yorktown, and at thesurrender of Cornwallis.Washington once tested hisfidelity as a guard byattempting to pass him in thenight, but Corwin would notallow Washington to pass, andafterward receivedcommendations for hisfidelity.
Corwin cemeteryLike his neighbors the Millers, Richard Corwin appears to have owned two adjoining cross lots.These lots extended all the way from Beaver Dam Creek to Little Neck Run, the creek that runsparallel along the east side of Old Stump Road.
The Nathaniel Hawkins Cemetery, lying on the east side ofLittle Neck Run about 500 feet south of MontaukHighway, has been totally vandalized. There were at least11 interments here, including two that are RevolutionaryWar veterans, Richard Terry and Nathaniel Hawkins.One source records that Nathaniel Hawkins’ father,Zachariah Hawkins, also a Revolutionary War veteran, isalso buried here.
The Nathaniel Hawkins cemetery is the oldest of the three Hawkins cemeteries at Fire Place. Fortunately, DavidCarters stone was moved to the old Brookfield Cemetery in Manorville by his family, and the three headstones ofSamuel, Mehitable and their son David Hawkins were moved to Baiting Hollow by family members.
Picture:David Hawkins cemetery, 1994. David Hawkinswas the son of Revolutionary War veteran NathanielHawkins. They had adjoining farms; this cemetery is abouta 1/4-mile east of the Nathaniel Hawkins cemetery.
It took Faith and I two years to locate the David Hawkins cemetery, deep in the woods of the 2,600-acre Wertheim Refuge.
The arrows show location of the unmarked gave of one ofAmerica’sgreatest civil engineers, Erastus Corning Hawkins. His greatestachievement was the building of the White Pass and Yukon Railwayin 1898, which has been designated a national Historic EngineeringSite by both the Canadian and the American Civil EngineeringSocieties.
Mattie Hawkins was the last of this branch of the family to live andto be buried here. She had many of the badly deterioratedheadstones replaced sometime after her husband Emmett died in1922. They had no children and, unfortunately, no one to put thedate of her death on her gravestone.
The Barteau, or Fire Place, Cemetery is the largest of the private family cemeteries in TheFire Place, with 38 known gravesites, the oldest headstone being 1805 and the newest 1974.There are eight other families besides Barteau in this cemetery; only 16 of the graves areBarteaus. Francis Barteau was one of the earliest settlers at Fire Place, arriving in 1741, but his gravesite, as well as that of his wife and nine children, is unknown. The cemeteryseems to have begun with one of his grandchildren, Nathan Rose Barteau.
QuickTime™ and a QuickTime™ and a TIFF (Uncompressed) decompressor TIFF (Uncompressed) decompressor are needed to see this picture. are needed to see this picture.Francis Barteau’s daughter Temperance had a child, apparently out of wedlock, with Nathan Rose, of RevolutionaryWar fame, and their son, Nathan Rose Jr, took the surname Bartow (Barteau). Nathan Rose Barteau, his wife Abigail,four of their seven children and many grandchildren are buried here under the name Barteau.
John Deitz has found that at least three ofthe original interments at the BarteauCemetery were verifiably RevolutionaryWar veterans – Isaac Homan (sinceremoved to the Yaphank, NY, cemetery),David Hulse (since removed to the CedarHill Cemetery, Port Jefferson, NY), andBarnabas F. Rider, gravestone at left.Harry W. Huson in Revolutionary WarPatriots Buried in the Town Of Brookhaven(Brookhaven Town BicentennialCommittee, 1976) records thatRevolutionary War soldier Daniel Terrywas also interred in this cemetery, but arecord of his gravestone has not beenfound.
Based on a Chase 1858 map, this is the house (2635 Montauk Highway) whereseveral generations of Barteaus lived, beginning with Nathan Rose Barteau. TheBarteau family owned land on both sides of South Country Road, mostly on the eastside of Little Neck west of Yaphank Creek. The cemetery is northwest of this house.
Although the last of William Snow’s family was buried here in 1878, many Brookhaven Hamlet old-timers still refer to the intersection of Yaphank Ave. and Montauk Highway as “Snow’s Corner.”
This is the “Senator” John Rose family plot at Oaklawn that had been moved fromthe Brookhaven Library site. There are 11 verifiable headstones in this section, butothers may be missing. The John Smith Rose family plot, which most likely wasalso moved from the library site, lies across the away from this.
Woodruff Cemetery, three graves, located between Bellhaven Roadand Mott Creek, north of South Country Road.
Mott Cemetery, located between the southernends of Mott and Hawkins Lanes.
The Greenfield Cemetery is located near the In 1939, Town Historian OsborneBeaver Dam Creek, behind 338 South Shaw reported that there were eightCountry Country Road. other unmarked graves besides Greenfield’s headstone.
"In Memory of Betsey, Wife ofDavis Rowland, Died 23 Feby 1846,Aged 44 yrs 7 mos 23 days."The Rowland Grave is located nextto Bruce and Dory Tooker’s houseat 314 South Country Road. It issaid that another stone was here butcan no longer be found.
Azel Hawkins Cemetery, which we will visit in a few minutes. Faith McCutcheon and Icounted 16 headstones here in 2002. Azel Hawkins is said to have built many of the housesalong Beaver Dam Road during the early part of the nineteenth century.