LSCC 2014 "Crafting DevOps: Applying Software Craftsmanship to DevOps"
Applying software craftsmanship to DevOps…
More than just clean code…
…but how does this apply to (Dev)Ops
“Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer through
early and continuous delivery of valuable software.”
Principle 1; 12 Principles behind the Agile Manifesto
• Continuous Integration++
• Many of us having been doing this for years…
• “DevOps” - just a label (or a philosophy)?
Lets break it down…
1. Operational influence on application code
– Fault tolerance, “Antifragility”
2. The build pipeline
– Fast feedback (and quality controls)
3. “Infrastructure as Code”
– Software Defined Everything (SDN, SDDC)
• TDD your infrastructure
Infrastructure Integration Testing
• Test server state via ssh access
• Awesome, but not quick
Software Craftsmanship principles are
not only relevant to the application code
It’s turtles all the way down…
…including the deployment and infrastructure code
required for the continuous delivery of valuable software
Well crafted DevOps can help here!
Thanks For Listening
• Questions / comments?
• This was a beta lightning talk
– Let me know if you want to hear more!