5 Ways to Find Suppliers in China
By Huw Johnstone
GHL Sourcing presents:
GHL Sourcing is an “all in one” sourcing,
procurement and logistics company who
specialize in Chinese products and
Two Categories: Assumption & Timing
You need to know your product
- This is vital to finding the right suppliers
• Highly likely to be your first option
• Many sites out there – Alibaba, Made in China, Aliexpress, gearbest,
• Be careful
• Use it as a starting point
• Limited factory verification,
• Many trading companies
• More like Ebay than first appears.
• You don’t have the same rights when buying online from China
• Chinese wholesale sites – 1668.com
2. Trade Fairs
• Summer/Autumn Fair – Birmingham NEC
• Canton Fair – Guangzhou China
• Excellence place to meet multiple suppliers
• Cost of exhibiting restricts exhibitors to a certain size
• Face to face meeting
• Remember to negotiate!!
• Problems – no factory verification
• Many markets in China
• YIWU market is world renowned for having
almost every items you could want
• Certain geographical areas specialize in certain
– You need to speak Chinese – be careful with agencies
– Cost of travel
– Prices are highly negotiable
– No factory verification
4. Referrals/Trade mission
• Occurs as your business network increases in size.
• Verified purchasing –
• Problems – difficult to get referrals due to confidential nature of supply chain
• Welsh Government is a good place to start
• Business Wales – 03000 603000
• Welsh ICE workshops
• Wales Exporters Association
• Have the network and experience
• Established relationships with suppliers
• Teams in China
• Experts in Procurement and Logistics
– There is a fee for this service
– No all trustworthy
– If your project is small they might not be interested
Evaluate your supplier
• How do I know this is good supplier?
• What are the signs this is good supplier?
• How do I know the quality is good?
• How do I ensure the goods are the same as the sample?
• How do I communicate with them?
• What certification is needed to import the product?
• When should I be paying for a product?
History is great predictor of the future