• Simple website.
• Great documentation.
• Clean and simple code.
• No users.
• Mystery author.
• Became active in IRC.
• Then: 3 people. Now: ~600.
• Started writing tutorials.
• Tutorials got attention.
• Released Code Happy.
• CodeIgniter users shifting across.
• Started submitting fixes and features to the pre-release
• Helped build/design the website for Laravel 3
(and later 4).
• Did lots of visual work for the framework
including splash screens.
• Built popular bundles for Laravel 3.
• Help build a welcoming and helpful community.
(Grand Master Artisan)
Laravel 3 had it’s flaws.
Time for Laravel 4!
• Taylor started work on Laravel 4.
• One of first users when it was built on Silex.
• Feedback loop.
• Exciting new architecture.
• Stable release cycle.
• Powered by Composer (Thanks Jordi!)
• Component-based framework.
• Uses plenty of open source! (Some Symfony, thanks Fabpot!)
• No preaching!
• No moaning about other frameworks.
• Just cool features!
• Intro to IOC / DI.
• Coding should be enjoyable.
• Code can be art.
• Clean and simple syntax.
• Your framework should grow with you.
• A complete platform, end to end.
• Components that solve real problems.
• Embrace open source, and make use
of it where possible.
• Give back to open source community
• A community of friendly Artisans.
Automatic type-hinted dependency resolution and
injection inversion of control container.
The Magic Box Revisited
• Not just a data store!
• A number of binding methods.
• Automated class resolution.
• Automatic dependency
• Interface binding.
• Service replacement / mocking.
• Extensible framework.
• Facades without the testing
• The heart of the framework!
( Not so magic anymore, hopefully! )
What are you waiting for?
( Thanks for listening! Sorry if I’ve got 20 minutes left! )
composer create-project laravel/laravel
• Visit #laravel on Freenode.
• Read Code Bright (come give me your email for a free copy)
• Watch some Laracasts! (Sup Jeff!)
• Visit Laravel.io and listen to the podcast!
• Follow some Laravel guys on twitter. ( @daylerees @taylorotwell @jeffrey_way )
• Come say bonjour to me!