10. How much time does it take to deliver
a new VM?
• Developers need to be able to understand and
then write stateless applications for the cloud
• Also understand the differences between
private clouds and
• Pair Java developers with
17. What is new in Liberty release?
• Extensible Nova compute scheduler
• Defined network QoS framework
• Enhanced load balancing as a service
• Magnum – better container mgmt. service
• Heat orchestration enhancements such as
role-based access controls
18. Issues still remain
• Documentation is spotty once you get past the
• It is all about VMs. Don’t make this your first
• Neutron and software-defined networking
support is still young and restless
• Keeping up with release schedules can be
• OpenStack won’t replace your PaaS
19. Lots of deployment decisions
• When to deviate from pure OpenStack code
• What enhanced features make sense
• Know the costs, your budget, staffing, skill sets
• Get right vendor training and support
• Understand remote management issues
• Where to locate your cloud environment
• Which OS projects/release to implement
20. One typical OS team
• 2-3 system architects
• 3-5 sys admins with Linux/ FOSS experience
• Friendly network infrastructure team
• Developers who know the cloud
• C-level buy in
23. Next steps
• Attend the next summit conferences
• Keep up with the latest code releases
• Understand the community and don’t fight
• There will be bugs,
(don’t worry, be happy!)
and is now moving to become more of a management layer than an independent private or hybrid cloud environment.
More agile cloud development
Continuous development environments can be useful even if you aren’t Internet-native co
Faster time to deploy VM – automated provisioning and managementProvisioning, scaling, and management of private clouds eventually will become cost-effective
Enables self-service developer access
A Forrester report last May shows that some of the largest global businesses are using OS. BMW, Disney, and WalMart are running production environments on it, as well as Internet-first companies such as PayPal and Netflix. OpenStack sits behind net-new environments designed to launch your enterprise into a revolutionized continuous development experience. It is not just all about consolidating VMs or other virtualization efforts.
They are the biggest e-commerce company in Latin America and the 8th largest worldwide.
They wanted to be able to reduce the time required to deliver a developer a production-ready virtual machine from 2 hours to 10 seconds, and they wanted to be able to do so without human intervention.
eBay runs the Havana (October 2013) release, with 12,000 hypervisors, 300,000 cores, 10 availability zones, 15 virtual private clouds, 1.6 petabytes of block storage, and 100 percent KVM and Open vSwitch deployment. This is about 20% of its infrastructure/
PayPal is 100% running its web infrastructure on OS 400,000 cores, across 10 different availability zones, and 82,000 VMs. When they split from eBay, they had to replicate their infrastructure quickly and spin up a lot of the VMs. They are now the world’s largest private cloud deployment.
The current criteria that the OS foundation uses to decide on maturity includes8 different metrics whether or not the project has an install guide, whether it is supported by 7 or more SDKs, if the adoption percentage is greater than 75%, whether or not the team has achieved corporate diversity and whether or not there are stable branches.
There are more than a dozen different optional services, and some are in very numbers in terms of overall adoption once you get beyond the top 5 or so projects.
This is the 12th release which came out last October,
If you’re looking to replicate the cloud management of a full private cloud suite or the IDE tool set and abstraction of a PaaS, you’re looking in the wrong place.
From Forrester’s report last May –
Part of this will require an understanding of how open source communities function and the pros and cons of taking such an approach to support an agile IT project. Most executives like the cloud story, but make sure they are well informed of all aspects — good and bad.
a dirty secret of OpenStack is that it starts to fall over and can't scale past 30 nodes – The problem has to do with the SDN components. Though Mirantis initially chose VMware to help power this with NSX, they're now adding Juniper's Contrail Networking, as well as OpenContrail for those that want to minimize lock-in -- SDN and networking in the enterprise is typically a big decision traditionally driven by independent groups in the organization, not necessarily the same groups that are making OpenStack-related decisions.
Finally, there is the OpenDaylight Project, another open source effort. It is being run by the Linux Foundation and aims to accelerate adoption of software-defined networking and create a solid foundation for virtualizing all network functionality. OpenDaylight had its first conference in Santa Clara in February, and has attracted more than a hundred developers in its first seven months with more than a dozen code contributions being included in its first release.
Get comfortable looking at transparency as an advantage rather than a sign of instability.