3 ways Big Data can help your business
• Make it more predictable
• Replicate your initial successes or trials
• Enhance customer engagement
What kinds of tools do I need to have?
• First, you need to know where your data lives
• Then how to store it properly
• Use cloud infrastructure to store it
• Finally, make use of various analytic tools to
process and visualize it (also cloud-based)
Mr Spock, first ‘big data’ officer
must be the
Four skills for finding your own Spock
• Strategic data planning. Understand how data is
the new raw material for any modern business.
• Analytical skills. Act like a reporter! They have
always been smart about asking the right
questions and digging through the data.
• Technology skills. Embrace the technology and
make it a key part of your job.
• Communication skills. Tell others using social
media management tools.
Social media success tactics
• Be yourself
• Be helpful
• Post regular updates but don’t get crazy
• Listen to your customers constantly
Try this simple 5 step plan
• Don’t be shy about asking customers what
• Define what you are trying to measure
• Take the time to analyze customer feedback
• Make it easy for your customers to provide
• Take action!
In summary, monitor things like:
• Truck routes, fuel consumption
• Chemical consumption
• Your most influential customers
• Your most problematic customers
• Delivery services with the highest profits
• What other retailers are doing
Stay in touch
• Copies of this presentation:
• My blog: http://strominator.com
• Follow me on Twitter: @dstrom
• Old school: firstname.lastname@example.org