2. Talent Mapping is Useless….?
• Unless data is usable (Searchable)
• Unless extraction and leverage is easy
• Unless the data is in one place
• Unless categorized, tagged & mapped to
Its not about Today, Its about next Month
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 2
3. Talent Mapping + Talent Retrieval
Strategic Talent Intelligence
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 3
4. Today’s Discussion
as a CHALLENGES as a
Recruiting Talent Strategy
Best Practice Driver
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 4
5. Intelligence Inspires Talent Strategy
Intelligence: decision and action
Information: Finding the patterns
Analysis: meaning to data
Data: Culmination of interesting facts
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 5
6. The Significance of Research
What knowledge & resources do you need
to identify key talent?
• Recruiters • Social
• Researchers Platforms
• Employees • Agencies
• Referrals • Influencers
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 6
7. Intelligence is NOT Espionage
Competitive Readily available,
Intelligence sources multiple channels, i.e.
information within the Publicly traded stock
public domain or via exchanges & Financial
ethical conversation. Reports, i.e.
Leverage public domain data
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 7
8. Where do you start?
The low hanging fruit is no longer your local
• Industry Outlets; online trade journals
• YouTube and other video platforms
• RSS feeds
• Corporate blogs
• Public subject matter forums and
• Social Media
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 8
9. Know Your Competition?
Not all your competitors hire the same people.
Focus only on companies that employ similar
people, similar skills.
• Conferences and symposiums
• Industry influencers
• Listening in impromptu and real-time
• Natural language techniques – “Terms of Art”
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 9
10. Decipher the “Language” of “Data”
• sales "*% of quota" (websphere | infoshere)
• site:ibm.com ("Golden Circle" | "Win Americas
Award" | "Sales Roundtable" | "Software Sales
Recognition" | "Specialist Rep of the Year")
• And there email ….. "mailto: * @ibm.com”
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 10
11. Use Natural Language Search
• "developed * applications”
• I.work|worked.for|at|on|with (company OR job title OR
• "I|I'm work|worked|working for|at|on|with" COMPANY
• "used to work" COMPANY or more narrow "used to
work * COMPANY”
• COMPANY ("my team" OR "our team")
• worked "contact me“
• "is|was an * at COMPANY" and “I was|am an * at
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 11
12. Knowledge Library:
Templates, Contact Finder Repository, etc.
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 12
13. Align To Workforce Plan
Plug & Play
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc.
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 13
14. Knowledge Is Perishable!
Retention of your talent organizations’ intellectual
Have you prepared a
How Do You Retain the
intellectual property your firm
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 14
15. Leverage the Intelligence
• Turn data into information
• Give meaning to data
• Distributed information
• Centralize Intelligence in CRM
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 15
17. Talent Community Live RSS Feed
+ CRM = Searchability
• We identified limited, to
overall inability to do
searches within CRM
search. For Example,
the phrase “Call
• "Cloud" OR
"Data" subset filter
within search agent
• provided no results.
• We need to enable
within Web Sources
“CRM People” – next to
all job boards. Makes
CRM instance into a job
18. Trust & Verify ... Extend Your Shelf-Life
Set up an Automatic Action Triggering Portal
Request to Confirm & Update Contact Data
25. When should you meet those college
• For every 100k students entering 9th grade in the US in 2011
• 68k will graduate in 2015
• 40k will enter college in 2015
• 18k will graduate from college by 2020 (5 years)
• 800 will have an engineering degree
• 125 will have a mechanical engineering degree
• 15 of the mechanical engineers are women
• 5 women mechanical engineers will still be working in 2025
It isn’t a trivial question!
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 25
26. Questions Define Your Strategy & Tactics
• What does your universe look like for the skill
sets you hire…and where you hire from? What
variables effect your assumptions?
• Business Division?
• Does your strategy determine how and when to
engage prospects competitively
• before you are ready to hire them?
• before they are fully skilled to perform?
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 26
27. Define Success: Analytics within Data
• Should your strategy include conversion rates?
• If yes, Define strata of how you define
• Profile to Lead opting-in for regular engagement
• Lead progressing to candidate development in the form of
• Lead as Referral ambassador?
• Lead as “source of Intel”
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 27
28. SUMMARY: Data Driven Logic
• Align strategic roadmap to the
• Uncover competitive intelligence,
document ‘proven’ internal search
• Use natural language, “terms of trade”
• Centralize & distribute data within CRM
Dave Mendoza & Associates, Inc. 28