Confidential Information 1
Confidential Information 2
What is Culture?
“Culture is the stuff people do without noticing it.”
Henrik Kniberg (Agile Guru)
“Culture is the manifestation of the shared values of the organization as
represented by the actions of its members.”
Kevin Goldsmith (Spotify)
"Culture is a collection of the behaviors and interactions between people
Jason Little (Lean Change)
If the vision is where we want to be, then it’s the culture that makes
sure we get there!
We should put the same effort into building a great culture as we do
building our product.
Confidential Information 3
Dashlane 7 Core Values
How do they translate into more concrete Engineering values and practices?
Confidential Information 4
Why do transparent and shared values help us?
A value can be
a reminder of
how to act in a
Values are like
a compass and
allow us to
Values help us
to keep the
focus on what
A value can be
our behavior at
work and can
be a force
Values are part
of our identity
What is the advantage of pinning them up on a wall so everybody can see them?
What is the benefit of identifying the values that reflect our actions in the past?
Confidential Information 5
Aim for the best:
latest tech and tools,
top release pipeline allowing smooth and fast on demand delivery,
super solid test automation with top quality levels,
Innovative in our field,
Be known as thought leaders.
Confidential Information 6
Our Definition of Awesome
Confidential Information 7
• As we grow the Engineering team, we want to stay nimble while avoiding chaos.
We want to avoid waste and stay lean.
• MVB = Minimum Viable Bureaucracy.
What is the least amount of structure and process we can get away with to avoid total chaos?
Growing the People and Growing the Team
Confidential Information 8
• We use and love the Dashlane product, all aspects of it: consumer, enterprise, partner.
• We are ambassadors of Dashlane for our friends and families, our tech communities, our world.
• We care and act when we are not satisfied with the quality of our Product.
Passion for our Product
Confidential Information 9
• We are Software Craftsmen producing
and raising the bar on our technology.
• We are passionate about what we do and we want to share the Dashlane
practices and skills with the tech community.
• We want to push the boundaries and innovate.
Passion for our Technology
Confidential Information 10
• Even if we understand the constraints of our business, we
think there is a way to both deliver value and have fun in
what we do.
• We look for the right balance between necessary work and
stimulating work to nurture passion and pleasure as we think
it will also allow us to please our customers and our
• We challenge ourselves to not just do things, but find ways
of doing them in a smart and exciting way.
Avoid too much compromise and sacrifice that kill passion and pleasure
Confidential Information 11
• We value initiative from all, each one at its level.
• It is the contribution of all that makes us a better team.
• Everybody is encouraged to suggest ideas and participate in the
team's life and tech projects.
Confidential Information 12
• We aim at being autonomous teams, where we can follow the way:
Think it Build it Ship it Tweak it
• Each team should operate as its own small start up, while still following the Dashlane grand vision.
Confidential Information 13
• We value the individual success of our team members, as much as the collective success of our teams.
Both are equally important and serve the greater good.
• We want to be recognized for our successes and celebrate them with the whole organization.
• We take responsibility for our failures. Mistakes or bugs are inevitable.
This is why we should aim to make mistakes and fail as quickly and gracefully as possible.
Success & Failure
• Fail Fast Learn Fast Improve Fast Long-Term Success + Happiness
• Better to plan for Failure Recovery than Failure Avoidance.
Build with failure in mind.
Think robustness and resilience.
• Fix the process, not just the product.
A failure is only a failure if you do not learn from it!
Confidential Information 14
• We trust people, which means we share (almost)
everything in our team. We strive to share.
• Code is open to all. We cross-train ourselves. We
• Collective knowledge makes us stronger.
• We want to build a network of people, where
anybody can talk to anybody, without silos or
• Better relationships and communication help us
do our job better.
Confidential Information 15
At all levels
• Our team(s) are what matters, at
all levels: our scrum team, our
engineering team, our company.
We help each other and succeed
and fail together.
• Emulation and positive
competition between teams is
healthy for performance but tribe
war is not an option.
• To have a strong culture, this is
down to the people in the team.
We need to have a strong culture
of mutual respect and trust,
there is no place for ego.
• We are all in the same boat,
together, and need to help each
other to succeed.
• We should motivate each other,
offer help all the time and work as
• We care for our team mates. We
want them to be happy at work.
Confidential Information 16
No secret agenda
• We are here to work together as a team and make Dashlane, our
We do not have a personal secret agenda.
We work for the greater good.
We share transparently and honestly.
• We certainly do not retain information, blackmail, put our colleages in
a position to fail, back-stab colleagues for promotion...and all those
political moves we can find in old-school structures.
• We do not play with people, manipulate them to achieve personal
• We recognize our peers for their
contribution and evaluate their
performance fairly. We do not favour
some over others because of personal
reasons such as friendship,...
• There is no such thing as
Politics happen whenever you make a decision that violates this
Company Team Self.
You put the values of your self above the team.
The values of the team are put above the company.
Confidential Information 17
We should be focused more on
innovation than predictability,
100% predictability = 0% innovation,
and we should be focused on
delivering value and quality rather
than being a slave to a plan.
We want to build an experimental
culture with data driven decisions.
• Move Fast and Break things.
Jump in the unknown.
• We accept that we do not know
everything and can't control
everything, so we are ready to take
risks in a controlled manner.
• So we want to put in place
solutions to support that
philosophy and fail safely.
Raise the F* Bar
Be better today
• Every day is an
opportunity to get
better. We look forward
to what we will learn
and achieve tomorrow.
Move fast and break things.
Unless you are breaking stuff, you
are not moving fast enough
It’s not about being PERFECT.
It’s about being BETTER THAN
you were YESTERDAY
Confidential Information 18
Go big or go home Give it everything
Play fair!Think it, Build it,
Ship it, Tweak it!
• Learn from failure
• Innovate at every level
• Continuous improvement
• Share responsibility
• Iterative development
• Autonomous teams
• Servant Leadership