Title Slide for Sperry Brand. Photo/image area is defined by the photo box. The photo box can be substituted with imagery relevant to your subject.
Electrical Meter Types
Test & Measure
Indicate a certain condition but
don’t provide and accurate
Combine multiple functions in a
single unit. Provide accurate
measurements for the condition
Similar to multi-meters but
conduct a more specific function.
Provide accurate measurements
and are more precise then multi-
meters or probes.
phase rotation meters
Sperry has a full line of products to support the professional electrician, maintenance
person, contractor or technician.
• Determine if the circuit has a continuous path for
current to flow. Gives a simple “go/no-go” test.
• If there is continuity (a complete circuit), current
will flow through the circuit and the indicator will
• Determine if voltage is present at the circuit.
• Requires contacting a live conductor.
• Indicates the presence of voltage but does not
measure exact value.
Probe testers are designed for specific functions, allowing
for lower cost alternatives to multiple capability test units.
• Safety First – These units do not require
contacting any live conductors
• Easy, one hand operation
• Most common electrician’s tool
• Higher end models offer adjustable sensitivity
• Various models have different voltage
capabilities (i.e. 12V – 1000V or 120V – 600V)
• Used to measure/indicate the presence of
voltage or circuit continuity
• Audible and visual indicators are standard and
some models incorporate vibration
• One of the most common tester used by
• Higher end models include non-contact
voltage detection capabilities
• Test standard 120 Volt outlets for proper wiring
& common wiring errors
• Some designs include the ability to test for
proper wiring within a GFCI circuit
• Higher end models conduct other testing
functions such as ground resistance verification
• Allows the user to locate wood or metal studs,
metal objects, and “live” AC wiring behind
• Integrated outlet tester with GFCI functionality
verifies wiring after outlet is installed
• Complete tool for installing electrical boxes,
switches, or outlets
Outlet Testers & Multi-Scanners
Lan Tracker Wire Tracer
• Traces any unshielded and un-energized wire or
• Four transmitter plugs encased in unit:
– RJ-11 (phone) & RJ-45 (data)
– Alligator Clips & Coax connector
– Automotive Fuse
• Transmitter can be attached to any un-energized
(not live) wires.
• Transmitter emits a unique signal over the wire to
• LED intensifies on the receiver as the signal gets
Circuit Breaker Finders
• Allows the user to locate which breaker
controls an outlet or lighting circuit.
• Only works on energized circuits.
• Provides dual indication for increased
• Sperry CS600A os am automatic unit that
does not require adjustment
• Mirror - Used to line up the needle to read measurements accurately.
• Zero mechanical adjustment screw - Used to calibrate the needle to
the zero volts or amps position.
• Zero ohms adjustment dial - Used to calibrate the needle to the zero
ohms position for accurate readings when measuring resistance. (Unit
will become un-calibrated as the testers internal battery wears down.)
• Accuracy - % error at full scale deflection - 4-5% is common for analog
• Sensitivity - Denoted as “ohms per volt” refers to the amount of
current needed for full scale deflection of the needle. The smaller the
current the higher the sensitivity.
• dB scale - This is used to measure transistor gain and should not be
confused with audio dB.
• Ohms -Resistance
• Analog display provides direct feedback of measured value.
• Not as rugged and easy to use as digital multimeters but still very
popular due to price and analog needle movement.
Multimeters are designed for multiple functions, allowing for
users to purchase only one unit for many applications.
Analog Multi Meters
• Combine the functions of several types of
testers into one meter (voltage, current,
resistance, continuity, battery check, diode test,
• Digital display provides more precise readings
• Meters can include special features such bar
graphs, data hold, peak hold, max hold,
memory, and more
• More rugged than analog meters
Digital Multi Meters
• “AC” stands for Alternating Current and
“DC” stands for Direct Current.
• AC is denoted by the the words “AC” or the
symbol (most applications are AC)
• DC is denoted by the words “DC” or the
• 3 1/2 digit display - This is an LCD (liquid
crystal display) that has 3 full seven
segment digits and one 2 segment digits
• Display count - The maximum numerals and
digits a meter can display. (A 2000 count
meter can display 0 - 1999.)
• Manual ranging - Means the meter dial must
be manually set to the proper range.
• Autoranging - The meter automatically
selects the range - NOT FUNCTION- with the
best accuracy and resolution.
Diodes Audible continuity
Auto ranging meter
(4 full Digits can be
Terms & Markings
• Provide the same functions as a
standard multimeter but the main
purpose is for safely and
conveniently measuring current.
• Measures current without contacting
• Typically measure current values up
to 600A. (But more expensive models
can read several thousand Amps)
• Available with TRMS circuitry for
more accurate measurements.
• Supplied with standard test leads to
convert into a standard digital
TRMS 1000 AmpT-RMS - stands for “true-root-mean-square” and is
used to designate a type of digital multimeter or
clamp meter that can measure both sine waves or
*A standard average sensing meter may be off by as
much as 30-40% when measuring non-uniform
waveforms. TRMS meters are more accurate.
NOTE: Do not clamp the jaws around both the hot and neutral wires at the
same time. The magnetic fields will cancel each other out and the reading will
be zero. This is also true for Romex™.
D:S Ratio is the distance to spot ratio.
Example: A 6:1 ratio indicates that at a
distance of 6 feet the measurement area
will be a 1 foot diameter circle
• Quickly and easily measure temperature without
• Measure temperatures down to -55F and up to
• Save money through improved labor savings (can
take measurements of distant objects without
setting up a ladder or climbing up a pole).
• Most have laser pointers to guide accuracy of
Just pull trigger to measure
Backlit LCD Readout
Easy to read, even in dark areas
Measures temp w/o contacting surface
Mode Selection Button
Choose C/F, data hold, min/max
Impact Grade ABS Housing
Resists breaking even if dropped
For attaching a standard wrist lanyard