**** CURRENTLY A WORK IN PROGRESS ****
Quality enterprise class software is tough. This talk will inspire a craftsmanship mentality and help bring it front and center as part of your organization's development culture.
Software Alchemy With Enterprise Class Craftsmanship
Neuroplasticity: The brain's ability to reorganize itself by
forming new neural connections throughout life.
Neuroplasticity allows the neurons (nerve cells) in the brain
to compensate for injury and disease and to adjust their
activities in response to new situations or to changes in
Operate outside your comfort zone
Do it alone (solo missions)
Confront your fear
Push yourself – you’re more resilient than you think
Ask questions, Don’t’ be afraid
Consider the following archetypes when writing software
• The MACHINE
• The PERSON consuming the content (”user” is
• The DEVELOPER who will maintain or review your code
Keeping control of software
development with a craftsmanship
mentality will ALWAYS serve the
initiative in a positive fashion.
The #1 way to lose control is
Expediency at the cost of control.
Expediency of the cost of control…
• …is a breeding ground for bugs.
• …allows non technical team members to push engineers
around and blame them when something goes wrong.
• …ALWAYS results in unmaintainable software.
• …primarily serves the temporal constraints of the initiative NOT
the quality of the software and the needs of the person using
• …causes the execution to spiral out of control.