Characteristics of Social Media
The Term “Social Media” refers to online tools (web sites) that depend
on user contributions and interactions between people to build shared
meaning and value. It is:
• Participatory: It blurs the line between producer and consumer,
media and audience.
• Open and Democratic: It encourages voting, comments and the
sharing of information. For this reason it is seen as authentic and
• Conversational: Two (or more) way conversation rather than one-
directional broadcast. Is personal, specific, and engaging.
• Communal: Supports formation, growth and strength of communities
around a particular shared interest.
• Connected: Thrives on being connected, making use of links to other
sites, resources and people, rather than being territorial and
A Tool Can Be A Game Changer
Brand in control
One way / Deliver msg
Focused on the brand
Org creates content
Audience in control
Two way / Conversation
Adapt the message
Focused on the audience
User and co-created
How are you adapting?
Social Content is Social Capital
• Social Capital is the value
of the connections
between and among
social networks for
and locating desired
• Content should be
• 1:12 or 1:20 ratio
When we return:
Creating a strategy
for your organization!
1. PEOPLE: Identify audience(s)
– What are you goals and
objectives for this audience?
– What are your audience’s
3. What is the STRATEGY to reach
4. Determine the specifics of the
TECHNOLOGIES you’ll use.
Implement, measure, refine!
Action steps for you
What else do you need to learn?