Welcome to the
For Long Island Synagogues
Produced by Generously funded by
• Welcomes & D’var Torah
• Get on your feet: Social Tagging
• Revolution, Relationships and Synagogues
• Mission, Marketing and Listening
• Discussion and planning in teams
• What’s next and wrap up
Jeff Pulver’s Social Tagging
• What you need:
– Find your red name tag (in folder)
– Write your personal TAG LINE.
– Grab the small stickers and a pen
• Where to go:
– Staff in the lobby
– Lay leaders/volunteers/others in here
• What to do:
– Chat with someone. Tag them!
– Talk to at least 5 people in 10 min
– Come back in here when I holler!
– What did you notice?
– What surprised you?
– What did you learn?
– Most insightful tag on you?
– How could you use other people’s tags?
When we come back:
– Mission, Marketing and Listening
– Taking it to the next level in our teams
Mission, The mission of North Shore Synagogue:
Marketing, As a Reform congregation, our mission is to
And perpetuate our Jewish heritage from generation to
North Country Reform Temple:
What’s your North Country Reform Temple – Ner Tamid strives
mission, and to provide Long Island’s North Shore with a center
for Reform Jewish values. Our Temple supports and
how do you promotes a dynamic Jewish community from
go about generation to generation through an inclusive and
participatory approach to worship, study, mitzvot,
achieving it? and social activities.
Adapting to a Connected Landscape
Old Model … New Model …
Brand in control Audience in control
One-way messaging Be in a conversation
Repeat the message Adapt the message
Focus on institution Focus on community
Educating Influencing, involving,
Org creates content User generated or
(From the Cluetrain Manifesto)
• Find your outposts
• Invite response
• Seek to begin and strengthen
relationships with and within
• Minimize “talking at”
Markets Are Conversations
People -- who’s your audience? What is
their behavior online? What do they want,
need and value?
Objectives -- what are your objectives &
goals with this group?
Strategy -- How will you meet your goals?
Technology -- What tools will you use, and
how, to support/implement your strategy ?
Do the P & O of POST
In your teams:
• Reflecting on your goals for the congregation,
what are the audiences you want to focus on?
• Describe them.
• What are your goals and objectives for the
• What are their objectives & goals for participating
in your congregation?
Put on your listening ears!
• Set up Google Alerts with
names and keywords
• Twitter searches
• Scan status updates in Facebook
• Google Reader for related blogs
Homework #1: Set up listening tools for your
congregation. Discuss how you’ll put your ear to
the ground and listen to the community more.
Report on the blog what you’ve done, heard & learned.
** Please mark your calendars for the upcoming webinar
series! Schedule is in your folder.
By December you should have a project outlined to work
on in your congregation. Feel free to call us to discuss
your ideas and questions as you work to articulate it.
Homework #2: By Hanukkah, share your project
description and POST analysis on the blog. Include any
remaining questions you have, or help you know you’ll
Reflections & Evaluations
• Take out your cell phone
• Text “Darim1” to 30644
• Type answers as a number
Then… please complete the reflection sheets.
(yes, PPT slides, links and resources will be on the blog)
Wrap Up and What’s Next
A few minutes to share: