DETROIT JEWISH EARLY
Chief Learning Officer, See3 Communications
President, Darim Online
The Social Media Academy is generously
funded through a grant from
Social Media Academy
• Get to know you!
• Review Academy structure
• Foundations of Social Media
• POST Planning
• Lunch (mmmm)
• Networks & Conversation
• Expanding the Network
• Policies and Guidelines
Ellen Dietrick, Director
Early Childhood Learning
Temple Beth Shalom, Needham, MA
Consultant with the Paradigm Project
Previous Director of Early Childhood
Education at Greenfield Hebrew Academy
Temple Israel-Loss Early Childhood Center
Temple Beth El Early Childhood Center
Hillel Day School Early Childhood Center
Beth Shalom, Gan Early Childhood Center
Akiva Early Childhood
Sarah and Irving Pitt CDC
Temple Emanu-el ECC
Social Media Academy
• Webinar trainings
• Private Coaching
• 3 Projects
• Cohort/Community Sharing
• Sharefest Presentations
“connect and collaborate” rather than “command and control”
Characteristics of Social Media
• Participatory: It blurs the line between producer and
consumer, media and audience.
• Open and Democratic: It encourages
comments, voting and sharing of information. For this
reason it is seen as authentic and trustworthy.
• Conversational: Two (or more) way conversation
rather than one-directional broadcast. Is
personal, specific, and engaging.
• Communal: Supports formation, growth & strength of
communities around a particular shared interest.
• Connected: Thrives on being connected, rather than
being territorial and proprietary.
• What is this?
• Open, conversational, participatory,
• What should we ask?
Strengthen the Network
5 New Rules of the Game
Social Content is Social Capital
• Social Capital is the
value of connections
between and among
nodes in social
• Content should be
• 12:1 ratio of
People Before Technology
1. PEOPLE: Identify audience(s)
– What are you goals and objectives for this
– What are your audience’s goals?
3. What is the STRATEGY to reach these
4. Determine the specifics of the
TECHNOLOGIES you’ll use. Implement,
Who are your three top target audiences?
One should be prospective families
What do you know about them?
What are you goals and objectives with
this target audience? What do you want
them to know, do, or feel?
And.. What do they need or want for