Digiday Data 3.4.11


Published on

Former CMO and Principal of Augme Technologies, and now Founder of Growth Matters Media appeared in over 200 public releases and live speaking engagements highlighting good examples of early adaption to mobile marketing.

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Digiday Data 3.4.11

  1. 1.       March  4,  2011  Taking Another Look at Mobile Shoppersby David Apple Google CEO Eric Schmidt recently declared that mobile will "revolutionize electronic commerce and payments" -- and when Google speaks, everyone listens. Sure, mobile marketing campaigns have been around for years (think of all the QR codes and text-to-shortcode campaigns youve seen lately), but emerging technologies such as smartphones embedded with near-field communications (NFC) technology and pre-loaded barcode scanners mean that 2011 is a watershed year for mobil. Now its up to manufacturers and retailers to seize this opportunity and to weave mobile marketing into their overall marketing campaigns. Those worried aboutdoing so should know theres a treasure trove of data on customer behaviors to help themshape those campaigns. A great resource for this kind of information is the white paper byAugme Technologies and ARC Worldwide, published by In-Store Marketing Institute in itsFebruary issue of Shopper Marketing. Heres some of what this white paper shares:Almost half of consumers can be classified as "mobile shoppers." Thats not to say allof them shop exclusively via their mobile devices, but they do take part in shopping-relatedactivities such as receiving notifications about in-store promotions and offers, looking upproduct information while in-store, reading up on product reviews, browsing online coupons,and Tweeting or texting about products to get instant feedback from their circle of friends.About one in five mobile shoppers activities is considered "heavy." This group has twodefining characteristics: they do just about everything on their phones, from making calls, totexting, to conducting searches and playing games, AND they are habitually heavy shopperswho are more likely to use mobile devices to shop.Heavy mobile shoppers are up to five times as likely to use mobile than "light"ones. That includes visiting a retailers website (91 percent heavy to 30 percent light);reading customer ratings (86 percent to 21 percent), looking for deals (83 percent to 20percent); and checking for in-store availability of a product (78 percent to 15 percent).And, of course, there are tools to take advantage of -- some new, some not, but all veryimportant:Smartphones that got smarter. About 65 million smartphones are expected to hit themarket this year with embedded barcode readers - saving consumers from the hassle ofhaving to download the software themselves. And RIM, the maker of blackberry, is expectedto include near-field communications technology (NFC) in the next generation of devices.These two developments should facilitate greater expansion of the use of QR codes andNFC payments -- something for manufacturers and retailers to keep in mind.  
  2. 2.                        SMS still rules the mobile roost. 68 percent of mobile subscribers still use old-school textmessages, and at least 90 percent of those users send at least one text per day. In one suremeasure of popularity, American Idol has made SMS a mainstay of their voting process, withone study showing that an average AI viewer texts his or her vote 38 times. Every mobiledevice can send and receive SMS, so its already scalable. Remember this easy formula:popular + scalable = dont ignore it.Feature phones are not outdated or outclassed by any definition. Smartphones willpenetrate about 51 percent of the U.S. market by the end of 2011, thanks in part to Verizongetting the iPhone 4 and the exploding reach of Android-based devices. That still leaves awhopping 49 percent of consumers who wont get to interact with your campaign if its justapp-based. Feature phones send texts and have relatively limited web access, which is morethan enough to exploit for a mobile campaign.You can find more on these ideas in the white paper, aptly titled "Upward Mobility". Theresone thing to keep in mind, regardless of how you shape your campaign. Theres only onemarketing tool that stays with your customer, step-by-step. Its not the mail-in rebate or thebanner, its the phone.