TECHNOLOGY – WHAT
HAVE YOU LEARNT ABOUT
TECHNOLOGIES FROM THE
HARDWARE + SOFTWARE
• Hardware, in the computer world, refers to the physical
components that make up a computer system. There
are many different kinds of hardware that can be
installed inside, and connected to the outside, of a
computer, For example a computer mouse or camera.
• In contrast Software is anything that is electronically
stored inside the Hardware this could be a programme
such as word and safari or an operating system like
• Before producing my music magazine I had
never used an apple mac computer. For this
project I used an IMac with an Intel core 2
duo running at 2GHz this allowed me to run
Photoshop which I needed in order to
produce both my cover, contents and article
• To navigate through this piece of hardware, I
used an apple mouse this allowed me to
select the software I needed to form my
• I also used an apple keyboard this allowed
me to type the whole of my article with quick
• Another piece of hardware I have used to produce
my media magazine Is a camera. For my cover
and article pages I used the Nikon D3100 with 14.2
megapixel's I was able to take detailed close ups
of my artist.
• To help me take clear pictures, which I would then
go on to edit on Photoshop, I used hemisphere
300 strobe light this allowed me to create a
shadowed affect on the artists face.
• By using a soft box I could soften the feel of the
image this brought more colour and life to the artist
in the image. Shown here:
MORE HARDWARE USED IN PHOTO-SHOOT
• I used a white back drop which was lit with
another two strobe lights to create a high
exposure picture which I need for my cover
and article page.
• By Combining the horseshoe flash trigger,
which sent an infra red signal to the strobe to
flash in precise sync with the camera shutter.
It allowed me to arrange the angle of the flash
to be taken from another side other than
directly from the camera this meant I could
form a slight shadow on the main artists face.
I did this because it shows that Alice burns
has a dark side to her and this is viewed as
cool in the rock world.
• Throughout the producing of my music magazine I used
Photoshop to craft and bring all the different pieces of software
together to form each page of my media product.
• I also used it to edit my models by clearing their faces of
imperfections and fixing the cameras faults for example here with
red eye. By using the red eye tool.
• Photoshop allowed me too create my own magazines feel, by
using the variety of colours, text, images and the layout I was able
to create a personality for my magazine. For example throughout
the magazine I have used the same colour scheme this gave a
rock like attitude and feel to my media product. I could of only
done this effectively on Photoshop as I could easily arrange
individual pieces of software with its layered system. For example
I could play and adjust the image without it affecting any of my
text. I also was able to put these individual layers into groups to
make it easier to maneuver like here by grouping them together I
saved me time and effort.
• Word played a crucial part in the
making of my media product as I typed
the whole of my article page on here to
then transfer onto InDesign.
• Word specializes in text work and
made it very easy for me to type the
interview with Alice Burns that I
needed for my article page. The article
was 757 words, I realized Photoshop
would have struggled to deal with me
typing this as I had experienced
throughout the producing of the music
magazine that it struggle as when it
came to dealing with the writing of the
contents page it struggled.
• I used InDesign only for my article as this had a large chunk
of text. InDesign allowed me to combine the background of
graphics and headlines that I created on Photoshop and put
the 757 words I had typed on word to form my article page.
Photoshop would have struggled to deal with the mass of text
I needed in my interview and word would not be able to do a
double page spread with the graphics in the background.
• I used safari in order to research and gather ideas that I would use to
inspire me and craft new ideas I could use for my magazine.
Throughout the forming of my magazine I used safari to upload my
progress to my blog.
I used PowerPoint to analyse the work I did and eventually to explain why I did
what I did. I used PowerPoint for the majority of the analysis questions
including this one.
• My blog allowed me to put all my work in one place and to keep it organized. From the
start I used my blog to make it easy for both my teacher and myself to see what I had
done and what I needed to do. this meant I would know what I need to improve and add
onto my magazine.