• A better understanding about social value and
how it is viewed by public sector commissioners.
• How to show you are delivering you social
• Find out how other local social enterprises are
getting to grips with measuring their impacts and
• Network and find out what other social
enterprises are up to around the County.
Cumbria Growth hub
• Cumbria Business Growth Hub aims to help
your business unleash its potential with free
business support for growth.
• A focal point for businesses looking to
increase their competitiveness and grow.
• Other Hub stuff – venues around the
County, specialist Hubs for Digital and
Media, Agriculture, Adventure Sports etc.
About Cumbria Social Enterprise
• We offer a choice of business advice (2 days) specialist
support for social enterprises aiming to grow
• 4 Training and networking events – Launch of Alston
Moor Social Enterprise Town, Social Value, ? X 2
• CSEP Conference – 28th April, Kirkgate Centre
• Covers FC United, Baywind, investment readiness for
new EU funding, social enterprise awards.
• Supported by CCC, DEFRA, ERDF.
• Delivered by Cybermoor on behalf of CSEP.
• Social value has been defined as “‘the
additional benefit to the community from a
commissioning/procurement process over and
above the direct purchasing of goods, services
• Now public bodies are taking social value into
account, social enterprises can gain a
competitive advantage from their social and
5 things to know about Social Value
• Social value is now a legal part of commissioning, by ensuring that
authorities consider the wider social, economic and environmental
benefit that they can achieve when buying services.
• Social Value came into law on the 1/1/13 so has been running for
• Councils can choose suppliers that provide social benefits, even if
they are not the cheapest.
• Social enterprises can benefit from the social value act as they
create social and environmental benefits, during their day to day
operations. Socially minded conventional businesses can benefit as
• Social value needs to be measured and demonstrated – its
important to specify what the social value will be e.g. creating X
employment opportunities for long-term unemployed or disabled
Measuring Social Value
• Social Enterprise Mark – toolkit includes a SV
statement and CSR certificate development.
• What do you measure?
• How do you measure?
• How is this communicated (annual
reports, bids, to stakeholders?)
• Benefits or disadvantages?
• Developing social value.