Social Studies Laptop Computers
Training & Tips
How they are stored
• You can find the cart in room 124.
• The computers are plugged into their
battery chargers when not in use. The cart
must be plugged in for the batteries to
• The airport is located in the cart and must
be unplugged from its drop before being
Some common problems
• Problem: Sometimes monitors will be very dim
and not appear to be working.
• Solution: Restart computer and cross fingers.
• Problem: Computer will stay on DOS screen
giving an error message for about 30-45
• Solution: Be patient and don’t touch anything.
The machine will cycle through the screen and
start up if left alone.
• Problem: Certain web sites will ask students if
they want to “Debug”.
• Solution: Click no and everything should proceed
without a problem.
• Problem: Inability to control sound on machine.
• Solution: We are locked out of the control panels
so the only option that sometimes works is to hit
the Function and End keys.
• Problem: Computers seem to freeze up.
• Solution: Restart computer, the laptops just seem
to freeze at times.
• Problem: A student is trying to save a file, but the
student folder on the network does not appear.
• Solution: Have student get to their folder through
the same pull down menu. Click Network
Neighborhood, then ike-bld, and the student folder
A, B, or C. They should be able to save to their
folder this way.
• Problem: Student created something in class on the
laptop, but is having trouble pulling it up in the
• Solution: There are some version compatibility
problems that exists because the laptops have Office
2000 while the lab computers have Office 97.
How to Sign-up
• Use the same binder you use to sign up for
the lab, located in room 124 on top of the
file cabinet next to the door.
• Sign out the laptops for the hours you will
• Return laptops to room 124 when you are
done using them. In the event that another
teacher needs to use them between the hours
you need them, the teacher will pick them
up from your room and it is up to you to go
get them back.
Procedures for students
• No food or drink allowed in class.
• Show students how laptops are to be placed in cart
after being used.
• Sign out a computer (1-15) in the binder on top of
the computer cart.
• Unplug computer from power plug and take to desk.
• After using the computer, shutdown the computer.
• BE SURE THAT GREEN POWER LED LIGHT IS
• Return computer to cart and plug in, being sure the
back of the computer faces out.
Some thing to think about...
• Use the laptops when you have the students
in groups of at least two people since there
are only 15.
• Should we buy a laser printer to travel with
the machines? Approximate cost is $800.
• Should we buy another airport so the airport
does not have to be messed with every time
the cart is moved?
• Laptops can be hooked up to the Averkeys
to view on television monitor, just unscrew
the cable from the back of the classroom
desktop and screw it into the designated
spot on the laptop BEFORE starting up the
• Some computers have disk drives while
others have CD drives. I have the extra
drives in room 124 if needed. If a student
decides at the end of the hour they will need
to save something and has a CD drive, they
will need to shut down the computer before
swapping drives because we are all locked
out of the bay manager.