AR Dev Amsterdam
17 APRIL 2010
Welcome & Introduction
Dan Brickley <email@example.com>
• Origins: the ardevcamp.org idea
• Diversity: connecting expertise
• AR Dev Amsterdam: plan for today
• to Mediamatic, our hosts
• to SoGeo Company, for lunch
• and to everyone here for contributing!
• Started in early Dec’09; this is 7th already!
• Next: Berlin April 24th; Vancouver in May...
After nearly 20 years in the lab, Augmented Reality is
taking shape ... overlaying and infusing the physical
world with digital media, information and experiences.
We believe AR must be fundamentally open, interoperable,
extensible, and accessible to all, so that it can create the kinds
of opportunities for expressiveness, communication, business
and social good that we enjoy on the web and Internet today.
Previous topics (from ardevcamp.org wiki):
Integrating location-based & image triggered AR
Social Network interop Data formats
Sensors and sensor networks RFID
Data Representation in the Geospatial web
Data Representation in mobile AR
Data Representation in 3D Gaming
“But I’m not iPhone / Android / W3C APIs
Business models Coordinate systems
• Huge diversity of experience in this room
• Nobody can be an expert in everything AR
• AR Dev Amsterdam approach:
• an open chain linking apps, UI and data
• relatively non-technical and short talks
• self-organised parallel sessions in afternoon
AR as iceberg...?
From the bits we can
see (3D, mobile, ...)
...to the things that
need to happen to
get the right info where
and when you need it.
(open data, common
formats, shared APIs,...)
Today (agenda in wiki)
• 10.30 AM - 11.00 AM - Steven Pemberton - RDFa and digital cities
• 11.00 AM - 11.20 AM - Quick intros (hello my name is + 3 'interest tags'), around the
• 11.20 AM - 12.30 PM - SHORT TALKS (session 1)
• 12.30 PM - 1.30 PM - LUNCH
• 1.30 PM - 2.30 PM - SHORT TALKS (session 2)
• 2.30 PM - 4.00 PM - PARALLEL WORKSHOPS 1
• 4.00 PM - 4.15 PM - COFFEE
• 4.15 PM - 6.00 PM - PARALLEL WORKSHOPS 2
• 6.00 PM - 6.30 PM - Regroup, report back and conclusions.
• 7.00 PM - Adjourn, room remains open for hacking, collaboration and ad-hoc discussion
■ Bart van Leeuwen/ Fireﬁghter - Software Architect / How to
assists ﬁretruck navigation with public data sources
■ James Bryan Graves (iPhone developer at SoGeo) - What's
my geometry? (Putting more reality into your AR.)
■ Chris van Aart - cultural heritage / iphone AR app
■ Johannes la Poutré - Mobile AR with Layar - a high level
overview of the current state of Mobile AR using the Layar
ecosystem as a reference
■ Hans Overbeek (Adviseur Contentstandaarden at ICTU) -
on opening e-gov datasets
■ Francesco Masia - Calameda (www.calameda.com)
CalaBoard: Augmented Reality in video-conferencing
“to geek, or not to geek...”
1. We collect topics on post-it notes
2. Sessions need a leader!
3. If something is missing, add it...
4. During lunch: tick with [x] if interested;
and write your name if you’ll lead it
During the afternoon:
Feel free to move around; to give short
talks and demos, to self-organise, and to
make it up as you go along :)
• Any questions - ask me, Zoja and Deborah
• Wiﬁ: Mediamatic network should be open
• Admire the artwork but don’t please touch!
• Closing: we ﬁnish at 7pm but the room stays
open for a while afterwards