The kitchen is the production center of the food
service. A functional kitchen is a combination of
the efficiency of modern technology and good
Food preparation can be facilitated and done
effectively in a kitchen designed and structured
in such a way that the arrangement of the work
centers coincide with space, time and work
Kitchen Principal Work Center
• Sink - center for washing and trimming food
• Range - the work triangle
• Refrigeration Center – be near enough to the
food preparation area to minimize movement
• Cooking Center – should provide ready access
for food preparation center.
Types of Work Center Arrangement
Wall Type – used in small kitchens; the arrangement
calls all three centers placed along one wall.
* Best utilized in narrow rooms.
* Suitable for one or two people to use at one.
* Suitable for small family stay at apartment or
Corridor or Two Type – in this arrangement, the
two centers are placed along two walls opposite
* Comprises counters on both sides of the room with 1.2m width
corridor down the middle.
* This set-up saves steps and makes sense where food preparation
comes before entertaining.
* First choice of many top chefs.
U-TYPE – in this type, a work center is placed along each of
* Utilizes three full walls for maximum storage and work space.
* Suitable for both large and small rooms
* Suitable for condominium and terrace house.
L-SHAPE – used in large kitchens; this
has two work centers, one placed on
a long wall and the other on a
* Versatile layout with cupboard along two
* Work well with sitting area that is integrated into
the same room and overcomes any shortage of
* Idea for a family and entertaining guest.
PENINSULA OR ISLAND TYPE – One or two work
centers are located at the center of the room.
* Suitable for large rooms with lot of available floor space.
* Easier for several people to work together at the sometime.