Foundations for a Platform to Develop Context-Aware Systems by Domain Experts
Foundations for a Platform to Develop ContextAware Systems by Domain Experts
David Martin, Diego Lopez, Carlos Lamsfus, Aurkene
Cooperative Research Centre in Tourism – CICtourGUNE (Spain)
• The development of context-aware systems is difficult
• Technical challenges
• Context data has to be…
• Obtained (distributed, heterogeneous)
• Processed (data model)
• Managed (inference->situations)
• The system has to be adapted to the identified situation
• Definition of situations
• Which are the relevant situations?
• Where is the needed context information?
• Which are the desired behaviors of the system?
Dependent on the application domain
Automotive Industry …
• We need…
• The collaboration among Domain Experts and
Programmers in the development process. They can
better identify the situations of users that can be relevant
for the system to be developed.
• Toolkits that can make easier the development of
Context-Aware Systems, even for people that do not
have programming skills
… “any information that can be obtained and
processed by a hardware or a software system, in
order to identify the situation of an entity and
adapt the system’s behaviour to that situation”.
Driving a car
Going out on
a rainy day
• A web platform for the collaborative development of
• Technical overview of the system
• Implementation of the final service using
the generated outputs to adapt the
behavior of the system
• Knowledge about the application domain
Context Cloud: functionalities
• A Platform to Develop Context-Aware
• Improvements over existing approaches
• Free data model
• Support for mobility (GIS)
• Extensible (rules, data model, sources,…)
• Web development environment (involvement of
• Evaluation of the platform
• Carried out in pairs composed by a Domain
Expert and a Programmer
• The participants (12) were given a document
where four different situations were described.
• The 83% find that learning how to use the platform is
• The 83% find that the interaction with the platform is
• The 83% of the participants state that it would be easy
for them to become skillful at using the platform.
• The 100% state that using the platform in their jobs
would enable them to develop context-aware systems
more quickly and that it would make it easier to
develop context-aware systems.