What about Ivory Coast?
• Ivory Coast or Cote d’Ivoire is a country in West Africa.
• The official language of Ivory Coast is French but a minority
• It has 2 official capitals which hardly any countries have.
• Yamoussoukro is the political and managerial capital of Ivory
Coast while Abidjan is the economic capital.
• Yamoussoukro has a population of 155, 803 it has the 4th
largest population in the country.
• Abidjan is the largest city in the country, it cover 981 square
• It is also the 3rd largest French speaking population in the
• It also has the most amount of children in the world.
• It is mainly known for their growth of cocoa beans.
• According to the 2009 census, there is an estimated population of
20,617, 068 people living in Ivory Coast.
• The West African CFA franc is Ivory Coast’s currency.
• The flag consists of the colours orange, white and green all striped
in a portrait fashion.
• Ivory Coast’s official religion is Islam with Sunni Muslims being the
majority. Christianity is the second largest religion in the country.
• Ivory Coast’s independence day was on August 7th 1960 when they
were free from France.
• From Ivory Coast, they import ‘blood diamonds’ to other countries
• Ivory Coast also has its own national football team called ‘Les
Cote D’Ivoire is
located in the West
of Africa. It is
Burkina Faso and
Guinea. South of
Ivory Coast is the
coastline is 515 km.
Where is it?
Ivory Coast’s Physical Features
• Ivory Coast, despite its
size, is very unique. It is
322, 463 square km.
• The east of Ivory Coast is
flat and sandy, whereas
the west is rocky and
filled with mountains.
• Beyond the coast is a
rainforest area that is 95
to 185 miles wide. Mount
Nimba is Ivory Coast’s
reaching 5, 749 feet.
• It is 1,300 feet above sea
level and it’s surrounded
by Liberia, Ghana, Burkina
Faso and Guinea.
• The largest lake is Kossu
What’s it like there?
• Dear Diary,
• I thought my trip to Ivory Coast was great.
The weather is generally warm and dry from November to
March, from March to May it’s hot and dry and from June
to October it is hot and wet. I decided to go in January
because most tourists go around that time of year.
There are many children they know fluent French way
better than me! This is because the French had invaded here
a few hundred years ago. The weather was hot most of the
time so I got to go out to places and many of the people play
football as they have their own football team called ‘Les
Elephants’ which they are very proud of. The people are nice
and gentle and the beaches are spectacular.
What about the climate?
• The climate affects the growth of cocoa plants in
a good way since cocoa need to grow in a place
of high temperature and since Ivory Coast is a
place which consists of a high temperature,
people can sell the cocoa quickly and efficiently
• Along the coast it is tropical and semi arid in far
north. In the three season it’s :warm and dry
(November to March), hot and dry (March to
May), hot and wet (June to October).