• The mountaineering and winter sports resort
Courmayeur is located near the head of the
scenic Val d’Aosta in the extreme north-west
of Italy. It lies at the foot of Mont Blanc, the
highest mountain in the Alps, close to where
the main road linking Turin and France passes
through the Mont Blanc tunnel.
Type of environment
• The terrain is mostly rugged and
mountainous; some plains, coastal lowlands.
The climate is alpine.
• SKIING: The resort rises from 1224m to 3470m. The main
skiing area with 100km of marked piste, is reached by cable
• APRES-SKI: In the evening you can sample local Aosta
specialties such as fontina cheese and wines from northern
• The resort: Courmayeur is a traditional town. It has a range
of accommodation, great cuisine, varied shopping, lively
nightlife, an ice rink and a swimming pool.
• Nearby : There are opportunities for walking, climbing and
horse-riding . You can even take a cable car to the Cresta
d’Arp and across the Mont Blanc massif.
Disadvantages of tourism in
• At peak times tourists outnumber the local population.
• The traditional village is swamped by new buildings such as hotels
and restaurants. These new buildings spoil the beautiful scenery.
• The local culture is on the verge of being lost.
• Farmers have lost farmland and the locals have lost their traditional
• House prices have risen, increasing the cost of living.
• Employment is seasonal due to winter related jobs such ski
• The alpine ecosystem is destroyed by deforestation on hillsides.
Also increasing risk of avalanches.
• Increase in traffic has lead to an increase in acid rain.
Positive impacts of tourism in
• There is now an abundance of better paid jobs.
• Reduces rural-urban migration since youth no longer have
to leave their area to find jobs.
• Roads have been enhanced.
• There is a better supply of water and electricity; along with
better sewage disposal.
• Leisure amenities are now available to local people.
• There are improved shopping centre's.
• It has contributed to economic development.
• Tourism has also lead to the creation of the Gran Paradiso
national park which protects the Alpine ibex and other