Successfully reported this slideshow.

Influencing the Influencers

24

Share

Upcoming SlideShare
Productivity presentation
Productivity presentation
Loading in …3
×
1 of 16
1 of 16

Influencing the Influencers

24

Share

Download to read offline

Description

A quick run through of what it means to be an influencer and how to influence influencers.

Transcript

  1. Dennis Howlett Influencing the influencers: ...or how to suck less and get your story out ‣ 31st May, 2011 AccMan
  2. Obligatory advert AccMan
  3. What I really do.... beep! and I suspect you do too... AccMan
  4. My mission...today If you’re in that camp - sorry !! AccMan
  5. Your mission...every day ...as seen on Bill McDermott’s office wall AccMan
  6. How did I become an “influencer?” ‣ Network like crazy with people who are smarter than me ‣ Contribute to blog comments, active on SCN ‣ Stay focused on the real world, not the hype ‣ Stake out positions with fact based argument ‣ Develop an individual, non-repeatable style ‣ Add a touch of ‘humor’ ‣ Rinse, repeat ‣ Be relentless...and eventually people notice AccMan
  7. How did I become an “influencer?” Made a conscious decision to give away 80% of what I know. The other 20% pays the bills plus change AccMan
  8. Flip that on its head ...that’s your job AccMan
  9. What do I want as an “influencer?” ‣ A relationship not a transaction ‣ Engagement with people who are smarter than me ‣ Relevance to my interests (which change) ‣ Stories, stories, stories ‣ Customers, customers, customers AccMan
  10. What I don’t want as an “influencer” ‣ To be patronised ‣ Poor research ‣ Carpet bombed with your crap ‣ Attention seekers ‣ ‘Cycling back’ ‣ Waste my time AccMan
  11. 10 hints and tips ‣ Do the research - critical 1st step ‣ Find the 20 people most closely aligned to your interests ‣ Don’t be afraid to engage - we’re not monsters (mostly) ‣ Find multiple points of influence - no one person has the lock on a deal ‣ Learn which media people use and engage in THOSE media - email is teh sux ‣ Be prepared to be challenged - influencers do that all the time ‣ Ask questions - no-one knows it all, especially you ‣ Don’t be afraid of getting it wrong - we all do ‣ If one thing doesn’t work, try another (fail often) ‣ Treat it like daily exercise - tough but worthwhile AccMan
  12. Some resources to kick start your efforts ‣ How do consultants get sticky – making yourself invaluable to your customers - http://www.peopleprocesstech.com ‣ Anything written by Hugh MacLeod - http://www.gapingvoid.com ‣ Understanding Influence, the Chris Brogan Effect - http:// www.jmorganmarketing.com/understanding-influence-the-chris- brogan-affect/ ‣ The Year of Understanding Influence - http://www.briansolis.com/ 2010/12/best-of-2010-the-year-of-understanding-influence/ ‣ Understanding influence in social media - http://www.slideshare.net/ Facegroup/understanding-influence-in-social-media ‣ Recordings from The Accidental Salesman - http:// www.theaccidentalsalesman.com/generating-sales-leads/ leveraging-the-power-of-your-network/ AccMan
  13. I hope this guides your thinking AccMan
  14. Dennis Howlett Thank You !! AccMan
  15. Dennis Howlett Contact ‣ email: dahowlett@gmail.com ‣ Twitter: http://twitter.com/dahowlett ‣ Skype/Facebook/LinkedIn: dahowlett ‣ tel: +34 607 482 739 AccMan
  16. Dennis Howlett Thanks to Hugh MacLeod aka @gapingvoid AccMan

Editor's Notes

  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • Description

    A quick run through of what it means to be an influencer and how to influence influencers.

    Transcript

    1. Dennis Howlett Influencing the influencers: ...or how to suck less and get your story out ‣ 31st May, 2011 AccMan
    2. Obligatory advert AccMan
    3. What I really do.... beep! and I suspect you do too... AccMan
    4. My mission...today If you’re in that camp - sorry !! AccMan
    5. Your mission...every day ...as seen on Bill McDermott’s office wall AccMan
    6. How did I become an “influencer?” ‣ Network like crazy with people who are smarter than me ‣ Contribute to blog comments, active on SCN ‣ Stay focused on the real world, not the hype ‣ Stake out positions with fact based argument ‣ Develop an individual, non-repeatable style ‣ Add a touch of ‘humor’ ‣ Rinse, repeat ‣ Be relentless...and eventually people notice AccMan
    7. How did I become an “influencer?” Made a conscious decision to give away 80% of what I know. The other 20% pays the bills plus change AccMan
    8. Flip that on its head ...that’s your job AccMan
    9. What do I want as an “influencer?” ‣ A relationship not a transaction ‣ Engagement with people who are smarter than me ‣ Relevance to my interests (which change) ‣ Stories, stories, stories ‣ Customers, customers, customers AccMan
    10. What I don’t want as an “influencer” ‣ To be patronised ‣ Poor research ‣ Carpet bombed with your crap ‣ Attention seekers ‣ ‘Cycling back’ ‣ Waste my time AccMan
    11. 10 hints and tips ‣ Do the research - critical 1st step ‣ Find the 20 people most closely aligned to your interests ‣ Don’t be afraid to engage - we’re not monsters (mostly) ‣ Find multiple points of influence - no one person has the lock on a deal ‣ Learn which media people use and engage in THOSE media - email is teh sux ‣ Be prepared to be challenged - influencers do that all the time ‣ Ask questions - no-one knows it all, especially you ‣ Don’t be afraid of getting it wrong - we all do ‣ If one thing doesn’t work, try another (fail often) ‣ Treat it like daily exercise - tough but worthwhile AccMan
    12. Some resources to kick start your efforts ‣ How do consultants get sticky – making yourself invaluable to your customers - http://www.peopleprocesstech.com ‣ Anything written by Hugh MacLeod - http://www.gapingvoid.com ‣ Understanding Influence, the Chris Brogan Effect - http:// www.jmorganmarketing.com/understanding-influence-the-chris- brogan-affect/ ‣ The Year of Understanding Influence - http://www.briansolis.com/ 2010/12/best-of-2010-the-year-of-understanding-influence/ ‣ Understanding influence in social media - http://www.slideshare.net/ Facegroup/understanding-influence-in-social-media ‣ Recordings from The Accidental Salesman - http:// www.theaccidentalsalesman.com/generating-sales-leads/ leveraging-the-power-of-your-network/ AccMan
    13. I hope this guides your thinking AccMan
    14. Dennis Howlett Thank You !! AccMan
    15. Dennis Howlett Contact ‣ email: dahowlett@gmail.com ‣ Twitter: http://twitter.com/dahowlett ‣ Skype/Facebook/LinkedIn: dahowlett ‣ tel: +34 607 482 739 AccMan
    16. Dennis Howlett Thanks to Hugh MacLeod aka @gapingvoid AccMan

    Editor's Notes

  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • More Related Content

    Related Books

    Free with a 30 day trial from Scribd

    See all

    Related Audiobooks

    Free with a 30 day trial from Scribd

    See all

    ×