Colquitt County High School Edible Book Festival 2017
COLQUITT COUNTY HIGH
2017 EDIBLE BOOK FESTIVAL
Classics or Banned Books
◦ Many books considered “Classics” have also been banned in certain school systems or libraries.
Classic books often deal with controversial issues that make people think, and so are often
controversial themselves. Think about books such as To Kill a Mockingbird or Of Mice and Men.
The subjects of those books and the realistic manner in which they are handled (racism and the
use of language contemporary with the time and no longer considered politically correct or
◦ Remember, just because a book is banned in one place does not mean it is banned everywhere.
◦ Two students worked together on the following entries.
◦ Pun: a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words
that sound alike but have different meanings
◦ Entries in this category play with words!
1-Samantha Hall, the Odyssey
2-Christopher Blanton, MacBeth
1-Libby Bruce, The Bible
2-Abby Alvis, Holes
3-Libba Johnson, Good Country
People and Cassidy Weaver, Count of
1-Celia Smith, 20,000 Leagues (Leeks)
under the Sea
2-German Llamas, Of Mice and Men
3-Samuel Kundi, Julius Caesar
Drop Dead Gorgeous
1-Mackenzie Blair, Harry Potter
2-Brooke Taylor, Fancy Nancy
3-Brianne Allen, Cinderella
Best Children's Book
1-Megan Bryan, Three Billy Goats Gruff
2-Payton Moore, Arnie the Donut
3-J.W. Griffin, The Very Hungry Caterpillar
1st Place Tie: Diego Charles and Cameron
Crosby for The Perks of Being a Wallflower
and Game of Thrones