FUNDAMENTALS OF COMPUTER PHM 1252 Persona: “ SONY ”Name: Radizawati KarimID No: LNC/DPH/Jul11/14Lecturer Name: Mrs. Nurfatihah
* Sony was once a prominent brand in consumer electronics, but a lack of innovative ideas and a disillusioned understanding of its brand has seen the company wither financially. It produced exquisitely crafted products that influenced technological trends and defended them with proprietary technologies. However, the then-desirable company grew complacent and suffered from a lack of leadership.
Nowadays Sony struggles to turn over a profit, with New York Timescolumnist Hiroko Tabuchi pointing out they have not been able to do so since 2008. "The reason is plain that "Sony has not had a hit product in years.“ Sony once riveted consumers with the Walkman and the Trinitron TV in the 80s and 90s. It boggles the mind to think of a contemporary Sony product that has proved as influential.
* Akio Morita was born January 26, 1921 in the industrial city of Nagoya, Japan. He was born into a family of sake brewers who have been in the business for 14 generations. Moritas family was involved in sake, miso and soy sauce production in Chita Peninsula in Japan. His father, Kyuzaemon, groomed Akio from an early age to take over the family business. His education took him from sitting in on his fathers business meetings during high school to graduating as physicist from Osaka Imperial University. Morita graduated with a degree in physics from Osaka Imperial University.
At the time of his graduation, Japan was involved in the Pacific war and Akio joined the Navy in 1944. During World War II, he was a lieutenant in the Japanese Navy and met an electrical engineer named Masaru Ibuka. After the war, he was offered a teaching position at Tokyo Institute of Technology. But he read an newspaper article about Ibuka opening a research lab and went to visit him. The two men decided to form a partnership. He died of pneumonia in 1999, at the age of 78. At the time of his death, Akio Morita was the most famous Japanese citizen in the world and Sony was the number one consumer brand in the United States. Masaru Ibuka
* 1946 (May)• Akio Morita and Masaru Ibuka started Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering Corporation (Totsuko) in Nihonbashi,Tokyo.• They financed the business with a 190,000 yen ($530) loan• and had approximately 20 employees in their bombed out department store.
1947 (Feb)• Company head office and factory relocated to Shinagawa, Tokyo.1947 (Oct)• Successful commercialization and sales launch of Sonys “power megaphone.”
1958 (Jan)• Company name changed to Sony Corporation. 1960 (Feb)• Sony Corporation of America (SONAM) established in the United States. 1960 (Nov)• Sony Overseas S.A. established near Zurich, Switzerland. 1961 (Jun)• Sony became the first Japanese company to offer shares in the United States in the form of American Depositary Receipts (ADRs) on the OTC market of the New York Stock Exchange.
1962 (Nov)• Sony Corporation of Hong Kong Ltd. established. 1964 (Sept)• Osaki plant established in Shinagawa, Tokyo (renamed Osaki West Technology Center in June 1995).
1968 (May)• Sony (U.K.) Ltd. Established in the United Kingdom (reorganized as Sony United Kingdom Ltd. In April 1993). 1969 (Sept)• Shibaura plant established in Minato, Tokyo (renamed Shibaura Technology Center in August 1989).
1973 (May)• Sony receives the first Emmy ever awarded to a Japanese company for developing the Trinitron color TV system.
* The first product of Sony was a rice cooker. Sony establishes its first major overseas operation in New York City (514 Broadway) in 1960 with a capital investment of $500,000. Sony becomes the first Japanese company in the United States to make a public offering of 2 million shares of common stock in the form of American Depository Receipts (ADRs) in 1961. In 1986, Walkman was included in the Oxford English Dictionary.
Before the Walkman personal stereo became a worldwide brand name, it was introduced under a variety of names, including the Soundabout in the U.S., the Stowaway in the UK and the Freestyle in Australia. Sony is a leading global manufacturer of audio, video, communications and information technology products. We believe the power of technology can realise new ideas and stimulate the senses, allowing us to create entirely new experiences. Sony’s mission is to bring new technologies, content and services together in unprecedented ways that enable people to re- shape their perception of the world and enhance their lives.
Share an attitude to constantly challenge the rules and boundaries that surround us to explore what is possible and create what is new. Sony believe the purpose is to enrich life through technology.
* The project, dubbed Being Sony, was necessitated because of expansive company growth, an influx of new employees, and converging business opportunities. Sony the most valuable asset and make sure the basis of your actions is increasing the value of SONY.
Albert MedalMorita was awarded the Albert Medal from theUnited Kingdoms Royal Society of Arts. He alsoreceived the prestigious National Order of theLegion of Honor and was awarded the First ClassOrder of the Sacred Treasure from the Emperor ofJapan.
The Sony Corporation of America (1960)After Sony Corporation was established in theUnited States, The Sony Corporation wouldlater become the first Japanese company to belisted on the New York Stock Exchange. In theUnited States, the Sony Corporation technicallycalls itself The Sony Corporation of America.